SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlndocs

ideas for compact year-round interest?

girlndocs
16 years ago

I'm installing plants in my mother-in-law's flowerbeds which have remained basically bare for 5 years since they moved in. I'm having a hard time creating winter interest mainly because of the space constraints: each bed is about 5' deep (and I thought it would look funny to have a shrub hog the entire depth of the bed) and the HOA rule is that shrubs and trees can't be higher than the fence -- only about 5 feet! Also, no vines that climb on the fence.

So I'm stuck trying to figure out shrubs and tree-like forms in miniature, something that will give scale and bones to beds planted with perennials and roses, and leave some foliage or structure in the winter. Attracting birds or butterflies is a bonus; being rare or expensive, or having messy dropping fruit or leaves is a minus. Needing frequent pruning or being invasive is a dealbreaker. I'm open to conifers but I have a hard time blending them into a mixed border.

She already has one happy rhodie (we live in the Pacific Northwest, rhodie heaven) and another one might be a good plan, but I'd like at least one other shrublike species and a couple perennials for winter interest. Japanese maples are pretty but too expensive and slow to grow; MIL is elderly and not in the best of health and I'd like her to be able to enjoy looking at her garden ASAP.

The beds in question are in full sun and have fairly heavy clay soil but the drainage is good because they're raised.

I'd really appreciate any ideas. I think I'm stuck.

Kristin

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor