SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

April In Oklahoma - Time for Foraging for Morels in the Woods

Annie
14 years ago

In Oklahoma, April is the month for going out into the woods to forage for Morels - those crinkly, wrinkly little mushrooms that are worth their weight in gold. Last year they sold for $80 a lb., and lucky for us, they grow all around here! They are Oklahoma's native Shiitake Mushroom. Scrump! The Boys (my big dogs) and I took our morning walk up on the hill through the meadow and then through the woods in search of "shrooms". I only found three, but will keep looking. It is clouding up again and rain may bring up more of them. I hope so.

It is also the best time of the year to look for interesting things to use for my artwork. I found some dandy dead cedar limbs to render into walking sticks. They make beautiful walking sticks. The more gnarled the better, and they smell so good. I look for those which have animal shapes at one end, like a goose's head, an eagle's head or even a snake. Some have worm markings or are twisted. When I sit in the garden to rest or just enjoy the garden, I do some rendering on my walking sticks. I haven't, as yet, done any carving on them, just sanded them until smooth and rub them down with lemon oil so they shine. I did buy a carving kit last year for my gourd artwork, so I may try my hand with carvings on the new sticks I found. Anyway, April is the month for looking for things in nature...before the snakes come out of hibernation in full force.

It is also the month when the strawberries begin to bloom and put on berries and the asparagus (if you remembered to manure them in March) start shooting up out of the ground.

My strawberries are beginning to bloom and the asparagus shoots are poking their noses up out of the ground.

The onions are up, the French Breakfast radishes emerged yesterday and today the beets are up. Yahoo!

The Redbud trees are in full bloom and this year, with all the winter snows and spring rain we had and are having, they are putting on a SPECTACULAR show. I will try to get photos of them growing all along the highways and by-ways so you can see why it is our official state tree. Beautiful!

This year, everything is blooming like I haven't seen in many, many years.

Two interesting things happened this April that normally doesn't occur until early May:

1. This morning our old-fashioned purple lilacs began to bloom and they smell divine. This year all our lilacs are blooming and we have a lot of them. I have moved starts of them all over the property and this is the first year that they are ALL blooming. Wowzers!

2. The other interesting thing occurred last evening as DH and I were heading back down the hill from the woods where he has been cleaning out the fence-line for the new fencing. We stopped to admire our place and were chatting about the fence project, when we heard a twittering sound overhead in the evening sky. We looked up and circling overhead were the Chimney Swifts, back for their annual summer residence in our chimneys! There were dozens of them this year! Wow! But they never return until winter is definitely over and that is always in early May. Wow!

The Sand Plums up on the creek are in full bloom and God willing, we may get some fruit this summer. I love to make sand plum preserves. The pears are in full bloom. Best I have seen in probably ten years! The peach blooms that were so lovely have withered now and are making little peaches. We have two varieties. The red plum trees have finished blooming and the cherries are now in bloom. Even the blueberries are putting on bloom buds. If this pattern continues, it will prove to be a great year for fruit and veggies, not to mention the flowers and other plants.

April is starting out great for me. I hope this in the glorious beginning and not the grand finale.

~Annie

Comments (4)

Sponsored