to the
FALL EASTSIDE
GREEN ELEPHANT PLANT SWAP
in
Redmond, Washington

Saturday November 5, 2005
10 am to Noon

Article about the Green Elephant Plant Swap

{{gwi:677698}} The Green Elephant Plant Swap is a Spring / Fall event: First Saturday in March; First Saturday in November.

Exchange plants, seeds, corms tubers, cuttings, yard art, etc. from your yard with other gardeners. No Sales. Just trades or freebies, please.

The Green Elephant is hosted in North Redmond, Washington, at the Episcopal Church of the Holy Cross; The site offers parking, covered areas, indoor facilities, kitchen, lots of lawn, and playground. It's five minutes from I-405 and I-520.

Directions and Maps to the Church of the Holy Cross

Cell Phone 425-223-7249

street address is:
11526 - 162nd Ave NE
Redmond, WA 98052

Suggestions for Traders

The format for the trade is like a tailgate party. You just pull into the parking lot and open up your trunk to display your treasures. Traders exchange expert gardening information as well as plant materials. In two hours all the deals are sealed.

The Green Elephant is convenient for trading bareroot plants. Simply dig and divide perennials bareroot to trade. They are dormant and can be transplanted with no shock.

{{gwi:677700}}

The photo to the left shows an easy way to set up trades.

Label your plants clearly. If possible write the common name, the latin name, and cultivar or variety if you know it. Also any interesting attributes of the plant: height, leaf shape or size, color, variegation, flower color. If a trader can see what this brown lump of roots will look like when it grows, it helps seal the deal. Use hortiplex, or pictures you've taken to offer traders color images of your plant when it grows and blooms.

Please do not bring seeds or plants on the Washington State Noxious Weed Lists.

What if I have nothing to bring to the trade?
The Green Elephant Plant Swap is a great place to start your garden. Many traders love to help new gardeners get started. Come and ask questions, get advice, schmooze a little and you'll walk away with some goodies.

Comments (18)