SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floota

Spring in the Mid-Atlantic

floota
14 years ago

Today we went to early service and after that was- believe it or not- the vry first time I'd had a chance to get the camera out this season. The time wasn't best for pictures, as it was about 10 AM with bright sun, but here are a few shots around the yard and garden on April 4th. I've been trying to get the garden mulched for almost two weeks - weather wasn't very cooperative until this past Thursday, and I've worked like a dog for the past three days. Am still not quite finished - have about 5% to go but am determined to finish tomorrow.

The daffodils were at their best about a week ago. A few days of hot dry weather haven't been kind. This is part of the back area this AM.

{{gwi:693403}}

Back spidery area - just a week ago, the large lavender azalea got half frozen!

{{gwi:693404}}

The weeping cherry out front - I had to stand back a bit to get the entire top but it had been "hindered" until this year by a neighbor's large pear tree. ( She finally cut it down.)

{{gwi:693405}}

The grape hyacinths grow under the daffodils out front.

{{gwi:693406}}

This is a teeny tiny hosta ( miniature) and the leaves are only about 1/8" in size now. I love how the foliage looks as it emerges. 'Lemon Lime.'

{{gwi:693407}}

Flowering Almond shrubs out back are just opening:

{{gwi:693408}}

Light was too bright to get decent pictures but here are a few daffodils. I prefer and grow mostly those with the pink coronas. I love how they change color as the blooms age.

{{gwi:693410}}

{{gwi:693412}}

Salome ( coronas change from golden to pink as blooms age.)

{{gwi:693414}}

{{gwi:693418}}

A big clump of 'Papillion' daffodils with split coronas.

{{gwi:693420}}

Believe it or not, there are daylilies here in between the daffodils and Pink Impression tulips.

{{gwi:693421}}

This is a late white double daffodil. I love it, but it really doesn't look like a daffodil. Sometimes the blooms are so huge that the stems can't support the weight.

{{gwi:693422}}

A big pot of pansies out front. There were two identical pots until the deer visited last week ( but they are starting to grow back.)

{{gwi:693423}}

Last shot - this is a bed of miniature daylilies. You can tell the evergreens as some of the emerging foliage still looks icky. I love the bright golden foliage of Agastache

'Golden Jubilee.' It smells minty and has blue spiky blooms in the summer. Great companion plant!

{{gwi:693424}}

Comments (10)