SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicoleternity

Best Spring Direct Sow Annuals + Perrenials (6a)?

nicoleternity
12 years ago

Hi folks,

Working on really filling in my cottage garden this year - some basic plants established last year, and now I want to fill in for a riot of color and ideally not a lot of mulch showing through by midsummer. Last year not much bloomed in July and august :(.

Not too much to ask, right? :)

6a - part sun to full sun (gets a few hours of roving shade every day from a large tree).

So I'm looking for suggestions on annuals I can try out this year (if you know if they will self seed let me know), and see how they look. I need them to be direct-sow in spring varieties, as the most I can manage is daily watering and removal of weeds (no indoor sowing, we're going through a remodel and it's just not practical right now).

I'd also like further suggestions on perennials, especially those I can start from seed in the same way. I will be a bit more cautious with these as they'll be sticking around.

Currently, in a 30+ foot bed that's about 3-4 feet deep I have 3 big Walker's Low, 3 patches of Black Eyed Susans, a patch of various sedums, false indigo, three plumed grasses just planted this year (still tiny).

I'm looking for a few for height in the back, and several for color! I love purple and blue. In the front I'll be edging casually around the rocks with blue Lobelia as soon as it's available in the nurseries here.

I love hollyhocks and alliums and hope to plant those by bulb/root this fall. I haven't had any luck starting hollyhocks by seed.

Thanks all!

Nicole

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting