SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
castorp

Need help with Cottage garden design (Pic)

castorp
17 years ago

I think the main trouble is that the house is long and low, rather than high, so whatever I plant could make the house look like it's "sinking"--and possibly make it appear even lower. I know nothing about design. I'm not even sure the sunken look is a bad thing. I'm judging only from the rough sketches I've done.

I was thinking about planting the entire front yard with very low plants (less than 18" tall), with small paths winding throught. With low plants I would avoid the sunken low look and keep the house visible.

I've also done sketches with a wide path going straight to the door, dividing the yard, and planting tallish flowers/grasses on either side. The straight path would give some structure, let you see the door porch, break the line of tall plants, and prevent, somewhat, the sunken look.

What do you all think? I'm concerned mostly with design. The style I like is the naturalistic "Dutch new wave" look, with lots of grasses and perennials, especially natives. I just can't figure out how to do it without it looking awkward or messy.

I would do it stage by stage, not all at once. I don't know if you can see in the picture, but there is a crape myrtle (leafless in winter), not far from the drive, which should some day grow into a tree, and the palm will become a tree one day too. I laid out a hose (just barely visible)to outline where I was thinking of doing a big bed, but I'm still far from sure enough to break ground.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bill

src{{gwi:656656}}

Comments (9)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor