SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

A Question for Sweetannie and other Organic Gardeners

-Sweetannie, you have posted several times about organic methods, and I was wondering if you, or anyone else, could give advice on organic lawn care? I know there is a forum for that, but I was hoping that I could get some basic info here and then maybe I could graduate up to that other forum (which is a bit intimidating for organic newbies!).

I admit that I have never been extremely worried about the environmental situation, but I do want to clean up my act. I saw a documenary last night about frogs that were being mutated by fertilizers and chemicals. I hate the fact that they, and other animals, are being harmed (I think frogs are cute!). I bought a new composter the other day, so I also want to make sure that what I am putting in it is good and won't harm the plants.

I stopped using the Scott's several years ago. The past few years I have just been using Ammonia sulfate, thinking it is better in some regards than the other stuff. What is your opinion of A. sulfate? Is it bad to use?

I am curious to know what kind of things are used in organic lawn care. I think I read something about Alfalfa pellets, but other than that I have no idea. I would also like to know how much ($$) it is to do organic lawn care? Much more than traditional methods? And is it more time consuming? Will the lawn be less/more green using organic? Or is green not always a sign of a healthy lawn?

I don't know how soon I would be able to start an organic regimen, but I at least want to be informed for the future!

Ps. What is your opinion of MiracleGro?

I look forward to your answers!

CMK

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville