SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mike1_gw

daylilies over wintered in Pots - survived

mike1
16 years ago

Last year there was a discussion about the merits of growing daylilies in pots and over wintering them in same.

I said that due to space limitations and my desire to have as many cultivars as possible that I would try it and let you know the results. 38 daylilies in pots and 38 survived.

35 of them were stored in my unheated garage that is attached to the house. 3 of them were stored outside in a protected area against the east side of my house. For the ones stored outside did not have time to get straw etc., but I did have lots of large bags of soil. I used these to build a large wall around them and when winter set in really hard, covered with a tarp. I also did same to other perennials and had excellent results.

Pictures below show all of my beauties. The snow has only been gone for approximately 3 weeks. The majority of these pots are ahead of what is planted in the ground. In the pictures the 3 smallest pots and the one with the fans approximately 3" tall with the little scape are the ones thet were left outside. This cultivar bloomed in the second week of june last year.

Next winter will try even more.

{{gwi:690189}}

{{gwi:690191}}

{{gwi:690192}}

{{gwi:690194}}

Comments (14)