SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brownthumbva

Need help with privacy screen in wet area -- root rot

brownthumbva
9 years ago

Greetings All!

Last summer I planted 10 Green Giant arborvitae trees which were about 2-3 feet tall at the time between my house and my neighbors house.

I live in an area with hard red clay, and there is also a lot of rock in the ground (each hole required a digging bar just to get 2 feet deep).

In addition the trees are on the side of a small declining hill where they get some sump pump and gutter run off.

The trees started looking a little rough by the end of fall (some branches were turning brown/yellow), and by this spring it was obvious that several branches on each tree had died, however other parts looked completely healthy.

I pulled a few of the trees out of the ground (it hadn't rained in at least a week) and even though the top soil was completely dry, the roots/holes were saturated still.

This leads me to believe I am dealing with a root rot issue. I have replanted a few of the trees after digging the holes even deeper (down to 2.5? feet) and then planting the trees slightly higher, and mounding dirt around them. I haven't had enough time to determine if this is going to help or not.

My question is, in this type of environment is there anything I can do to improve drainage where I've dug out the holes? Should I be putting rock or sand at the bottom of each hole?

Is there another type of tree that would be useful for privacy that would thrive more in this type of growing environment?

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus