SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atmoscat

Help with plants for back privacy screen

atmoscat
9 years ago

There is a school and large parking lot behind our property, and we would like to plant a privacy screen along the back lot line to block the view (see picture). The area is shaded by several large maple trees, which will be staying. There are also a couple of small maple trees (which we will most likely remove) and a couple of fairly large hemlocks. The lot line is about 65 ft long and is about 175 ft from the back of the house.

A couple of landscape professionals have suggested planting a row of Thuja 'Green Giant' about 10' apart in a straight line. I'm not happy with this idea because (1) I think they get too tall. I don't want a wall of 40' trees back there. (2) I would like to have more variety and (3) I am worried they will not get enough sun. The will get some sun on the back side (from the parking lot, which is south), but pretty much none on the side that faces the yard.

I would like to get some suggestions on what to plant in this area. There need to be some evergreens because the area is particularly exposed in winter. I would like to use plants that will mature in the 10 - 25 ft range, so it has more of the feeling of a woodland or understory planting, rather than a wall of big trees. It's okay if it takes a while to fill in, but I think I need at least a couple of moderate growers. I was thinking of using maybe 3 Thuja occidentalis (maybe Smaragd, Nigra, or Techny) because they don't seem to get as big as 'Green Giant' but will still provide pretty good height and screening. Will they get enough sun? How tall will they get?

Then, I'd like to fill in with a combination of slower/lower growing evergreens that will get to about 10-12', including some broad leaf, that tolerate shade, such as Capitata Yew, rhododendrons, and maybe holly (I've been told hollies won't get many berries in the shade, but that's okay with me as long as the foliage is healthy). One landscaper I talked to suggested putting a few Hamamelis in front of the evergreens for winter interest, which I think sounds nice.

Does this sound like it will work? Are there other options or particular varieties anyone would suggest? What sort of placement would people recommend for the thuja and other plants? Should I keep any of the small maples and/or the hemlocks or take them all out? I'm sort of thinking of keeping just the taller hemlock because it provides nice height and screening higher up, and putting a couple of thuja between it and the large maple, but I'm flexible on this.

I read this forum often and have learned a lot from it, but this is my first post. I'm looking forward to hearing any suggestions! Thanks!

Comments (14)