SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlotte428

I LOVE teeth and tentacles ~ Which are your favorites?

charlotte428
17 years ago

Do you have any pictures?

Comments (45)

• bloomincrazy
    17 years ago

I love teeth also, on unusual form daylilies. I bought some seeds off the LA of Eight miles High X God save the queen. I'm hoping for some really good teeth. Having said that. I've yet to see Teeth here in the north. So we'll see.
    I don't really prefer chicken fat.

I gotta say that wider petaled UF's with strong substance are my favorites. I like some spiders but not the really skinny ones. Having said that. I'm kind into mini's as well. There is something delecate about them that I really like.

• juliet11
    17 years ago

I haven't seen any daylilies with teeth in person, but yesterday I came across a photo of a daylily with huge teeth! It's a new 2007 Salter intro called Fantastic Fringe and it has some of the biggest teeth I've seen. (Of course it's really expensive!)

Juliet

Here is a link that might be useful: Salter's Website

• Related Discussions

just for fun... which one is your favorite?

Q

Comments (22)
    Oh sorry I forgot to name them. 1. Lyon's PLum Pudding 2. Ness' Crinkle Blue 3. NOID Optimara Chartruse Kisses (self named) 4. NOID Maya Kisses (self named) 5. Optimara Chico 6. NOID Optimara Lavender Kisses (self named) 7. Optimara Millennia 8. NOID Double Plum (self named)
    ...See More

Which are your 5 favorites

Q

Comments (36)
    I had a feeling that is what you said..:-) Just a suggestion. I would pot them up as soon as you recieve them, and leave them outdoors in a shady spot for a bit. Then introduce them back to the sun gradually. They are use to this treatment at the nursery since they are grown outdoors. This was suggested to me by my friends at the citrus nursery. As for how long before you put them back in the sun, I am not sure. Maybe someone can gives us an idea. I just transplanted 4 and I am not sure how long before I can put them back into full sun. Last year when I recieved mine, I potted them up and then I stuck them right back out the in the after a couple of days from adjusting from shipment and potting up. I might of gone against all odds, because they never reacted badly. In fact they did quite good..So unless someone suggests different, I will do same. Take care for now. P.S I just realized that we hijacked ladymarmalades thread!! Shoot. It can be so easy to do. Brancto, if you wnat to, just e-mail me, or I will catch you on another thread about this... Sorry ladymarmalade! My top 5 again. Pondorosa Lemon.... Washington Navel... Lemon Meyer.... Oro Blanco Grapefruit.... Key lime....
    ...See More

Camellias: Which is your favorite?

Q

Comments (28)
    My favorites have already been mentioned a few times, C. japonica "Debutante", a truly beautiful double peony type in shell pink, and "Nuccio's pearl", double white with shell pink edges on the interior petals. The flower shape is as important to me as color. Both of these beautiful shrubs are very vigorous and dark green. A perfect foil for the flowers! "Nuccio's Jem" is also a winner in pure angelic white. Enjoy
    ...See More

Which is your favorite pubicalyx and why?

Q

Comments (18)
    /Mike I have to agree with you about 'Pink Silver.' It is soothing to have at least one good buddy you can depend on. If 'Pink Silver' were an animal, it would be a golden retriever. /Pug I have to admit, I don't think that's much of a sacrifice for flowers! I could really go either way with speckling on most plants. I don't love or hate it. I really should have properly photographed those publicalyxes. The dehydrated pusilla leaves that crept into every shot are driving me nuts. I'm going to try the Joni deep soak method starting tonight, and if that doesn't work, I'm going to see about sacrificing a goat to the Hoya gods. Oh yeah! And I found 'Red Buttons' this morning! ^_~
    ...See More
  • simplton
    17 years ago

I'm just curious about people who have a distaste for "chicken fat". Are you talking about daylilies like Princess Diana, which have huge cream or gold edges? And if so, have you seen these flowers in person or are you just talking about pictures?

I like teeth as well, such as Bass Gibson and Puffer Fish. When I am in my garden during bloom season, the more spectacular the edge, the more spectacular the flower. Of course, I am talking about large, wide, thick, round flowers with saturated color.

One good thing about "chicken fat" flowers, even if you don't like them, is that they have great breeding potential. Crossing them with the teethy flowers might be a good idea. Another quality is that the huge edge frames the flower, and makes it stand apart from the rest.

For me, spectacular is the word I continually use when refering to "chicken fat".

• lynxe
    17 years ago

simplton, funny story: I hated chicken fat edges. Loathed loathed loathed. Simple, tailored forms were the way to go. The only way to go. Mind you, I hadn't actually seen any of the newer daylilies: my opinion was formed solely on the basis of photos. (Be careful of people with strong but untested opinions: they can be so very, very wrong LOL.)

Then I visited a display garden, where I saw a stunning daylily that struck me as perfect in branching, bud count, scape height & flower size. I literally went down on my knees to look at it closely. It was NORTHERN FANCY, and in that zone 6 garden, the edge was thick and ruffled and quite "chicken fatty" to my eyes.

Needless to say, NF now grows in my garden. Needless to say, that was the turning point, and I want all the modern, fancy looks, froms chicken fat to knobs to teeth....

speaking of which, two toothy ones that I love are BASS GIBSON and RUFFLED STRAWBERRY PARFAIT.

I had a conversation with Van Sellers I think it was, and he said that if RSP had been an intro of a big name hybridizer (to use my own words) it would FAR more popular than it currently is. They love that one at Iron Gate. You may not have ever thought of that one when you refer to "saturated" color, but it's one you should keep an eye out for. I bought a huge pot of it last summer, and it did a beautiful job of producing sharp, toothy edges.

Knobs and sticking-out stuff in a new intro you might not be familiar with: go to Woodside Nursery's web site and check out GRETCHEN APPS. Too bad the image can't be enlarged; the larger image in the catalog really shows off the edge. Some might not like the color, but it's one I love.

• sweatin_in_ga
    17 years ago

I bought Fortune's Dearest last spring. It's not noted for teeth but certainly shows them in some pictures. Unfortunately, the plants I received were fairly small and only got a couple of mis-shapen blooms last year. I just received Spiny Sea Urchin and Forestlake Ragamuffin this week from Patron Gardens in Albany, Georgia. What great looking, large fans they sent! Anyway, looking forward to seeing those bloom this year.
    Simpleton - I know what you mean. Some of the pictures I see used on the LA, Gary Colby in particular this year but others in the past, almost look deformed compared to the actual flowers you see in a garden. The real flowers are knock-out beautiful. I know the major growers are free to use any picture that they want for an introduction, but why choose one that really does not look like the flower people will actually grow - - particularly when the picture is not as pretty as the actual flower? I guess it is part of that 'lack of truth' that you referred to in another post.

Larry

• simplton
    17 years ago

I checked the pics for RSP and GA. One of the appealing things for me about teethy critters is that they are dormants and true northern cultivars many times. I like it when they have wider petals. I have been around for a couple of decades and I remember very well the narrow petals and orangish colors we were all trying to change. I am able to tolerate them much more when they are dormants, because I would like to see hardy daylilies get a fair share of the fame.

The trend for teethy dormants is narrow petals and a lack of color saturation...or at least a shortage of width and saturation together. I don't have many teethy critters now, although I have a smallish fan of Iwanna Pirahna with a scape up. I got it a month ago so it will probably be next year before I get a good show from it.

The old-time northern hybridizers had a strong linebreeding influence and my personal opinion is that they should be crossed with unrelated stock...even southern inbred EVs would be OK. With extreme culling, I think there is a good chance of regaining vigor and pathogen resistance if outcrossing is dominant.

I would like to cross my Piranha with hard dormant teethy stuff and sell the seeds. I have given up hybridizing, but would still like others to use my seeds. This year I will be adding lots of dormants.

Any suggestions to what I should get? Bass Gibson will be one I hope.

• simplton
    17 years ago

Larry, last year I had posted about individual involvement on an administration level pertaining to registration and pics I believe. I mentioned how hard it is to do the right thing...it comes at great cost, and takes a strong will. We were talking about hybridizer's pics, and if I remenber correctly, I took what what supposed to be a positive and turned it into a negative.

As you mentioned here, pics seldom express the flower fairly...whether it be a doctored hybridizer pic on the best day of that plant's life...or a small single fan just transplanted that does no justice.

One of the things that I will be known for (i think) is being a wacko. That is a good way to trivialize what is said and push issues aside. Making the majority issue so tiny it can be swept under the rug is common too. Issues should be voted on by the entire society, not just controlling elites. The word "democracy" has many meanings, and one definition is control of the majority by a society.

Evolution is not a natural thing if human beings are involved. It is the stopping or reversing of progress...that is, if we let the monority rule the majority. I think the official AHS stance on pics is that they do not exist.

• bloomincrazy
    17 years ago

Simplton, I've not seen the newer intro's with big Chicken fat. I do however have some of the older ones such as Ida's magic and Light years away. With the gold tightly rippled rim. I'm not saying that I can't stand them....they are just not my preference. To me these and the new intro's I see remind me of those embroidered doilies that my grandmother used to have. And you have to understand that I've always been somewhat of a tomboy with an artsy fartsy side....so anything prissy/frilly is not to my taste.

Having said that I did buy some seeds on the LA of Gary Colby X Tenacious. I find the size of GC of interest and I have a very prissy/frilly friend ( who I love dearly but we share none of the same tastes) who loves anything embroidered. I thought if any of the seedlings turn out half decent then I'd give it to her. I'm trying to make a gardner out of her.

That is not to say that I find 'Chicken fat' Ugly. It's just not really my style. If my seedlings bloom me some good chicken fat and I've bloomed them from seed....who knows, I may just change my mind on that. Kinda like I always thought I wouldn't know what to do with a girly girl for a daughter. Well I have one....And I love her to pieces and actually enjoy that she likes girly stuff. It's differnt from my Tomboy daughter and rough and tumble son.
    We'll just have to wait and see. But for that's my story.
    ange

• lotodig
    17 years ago

OH YEA, I am hooked on those beauties.......teeth, tucks, ribs, sculpting, carving, ruffles, ears, wings, any and all of the unusual. I am in awe of the beauty.

Many of my favorites with teeth are, FL Ragamuffin, Bass Gibson, Aliquippa, Puffer Fish (on the auction right now, but alas, too much moola for my poor purse)

Texas Feathered Fancy, Ohio Discovery and Stealth Bomber are some more of the most unusual and beautiful I would love to own one day.

There are so many more that are so unusual and totally new and unique that I feel like a kid in a candy store,--- which one do I like best,--- OH NO I CAN'T CHOOSE.

Like this thread.......interesting to see if other people are interested in the unusual.

• simplton
    17 years ago

Dunno if this pic link will work. I have a single fan that split into 3 and has one scape...looking forward to seeing what some consider the best daylily to date.

Here is a link that might be useful: princess di

• simplton
    17 years ago

And I have a scape up on my piranha

Here is a link that might be useful: Iwanna Piranha

• simplton
    17 years ago

I understand crazybloomer. We all have our taste and flavours. And, you just gotta love a Canadian tomboy with daylilies. Yum. A little hot sauce if you please.

• bloomincrazy
    17 years ago

ROTFL Simplton, oh you made me laugh! :)
    Princess Di - it is very beautiful, but bit too ruffly for my liking. Iwanna Piranha - that looks like something I'd go for...don't imagine my budget would go for it though.
    Nice Pics. Thanks for sharing!!

• ladylovingdove
    17 years ago

I also have Princess Diana, I got a sungle fan that has split and has a bloom stalk now. It is in the atrium and I sure hope it does't freeze tonight. It is supposed to get to 33. Here is crossing my fingers. AND hopefully it will look somewhat like the picture. I have my camera waiting for it anyway.

Dot

• shive
    17 years ago

Hi Charlotte,
    I'm unable to post photos on the forum because I don't use a photo storage website like Picture Trail or Photo Bucket. Take a look on the Daylily Photo Gallery here. That's where I can post them. My favorites are:

GILDED KNIGHT
    MORT MORSS
    TECHNY PEACH LACE

I have more coming this spring, and I'll post photos of those on the gallery when they bloom.

Shive

• beachlily z9a
    17 years ago

I've spent a lot of time in the Kinnebrew's gardens. They belong to the same clubs that I do, plus, I am a garden judge. Checken fat doesn't do it for me. Long, skinny, twirling, twisting, cascading whatevers are lovely! I do like bold edges, just not really fat, bold edges! Chicken fat just looks coarse to me and it overpowers the actual flower. To each their own.

• hemerocallia
    17 years ago

I love the daylilies with teeth and tentacle. I have:

Aftershock (Benz 2000)
    Aliquippa (Baxter 2044 ) a new one for this year
    Baracuda Bay (ssalter 1996)Tenter here in zone 4
    Bi-Colored Bite (lambertson 2002)Tenter in zone 4
    Bird Talk (Lambertson 2006)a new one for this year
    Buzz Saw (Gossard 2002)New one for me
    Cretaceous Crunch (Lambertson 2003)
    Drink The Light (Lambertson 2005)Tender in zone 4
    Eight Miles High(lambertson 2004)New this year
    Forestlake ragamuffin (Harding 1993)
    Forestlake John Harding(Harding 2001)New for this year
    Forestlake Point Lace(Harding 1999 ??) new this year
    Fortune's Dearest (Morss 1994)
    Golden Tentacle (Lambertson 1994)
    Heavenly Beginnings (Gossard 2001)
    Heavenly Velocirapter(Gossard)new this year
    Non D'une Bobinette (Lévesque 2005)
    Ruffled Strawberrry Parfait Reckamp-Klehm 2001
    Way Cool (Lambertson 1998)
    Wild Child (Salter 2002)

You can see picture on my site

Michel

Here is a link that might be useful: www.hemerocallia.com

• lilypatch
    17 years ago

Here's a picture of GOD SAVE THE QUEEN, 1st bloom on a plant in the greenhouse. it didn't open very well this morning, cold and cloudy here but shows some toothy potential. {{gwi:686505}}

• bloomincrazy
    17 years ago

Lilypatch, that is the first pic of God Save the Queen I've seen besides the Morss's Pic. It looks nothing like the pic I've seen, Still pretty though. I've got seeds from GSTQ X Eight miles high and X Labrynth of Solitude.Should prove interesting. Very nice!!

The only question is will they like it in my zone 5 garden?
    Actually I'm right on the border or 4/5. so we'll see. I'll have to find a nice sheltered spot for them.

• lilypatch
    17 years ago

bloomincrazy,
    I agree, not much like their picture, bet its better when it warms up. The plant over-wintered here in a pot but I brought it in the greenhouse early. That's all I can tell you about its hardiness. The seeds you mentioned should be interesting. I bred it with PERCIVILLE JAMES pollen this morning, and used the pollen on several flowers,one a green edged seedling of similar color. Looking for some green teeth!

• amateur_expert
    17 years ago

I am absolutely in love with Bird Talk and Eight Miles High. I've only seen their pictures but if they even come close, I will have to break down and get them one of these years.

Simplton - I don't really like pink or "chicken fat" but I find Princess Di breathtaking (of course, IF she looks like her photo).

Christine

• simplton
    17 years ago

I will post some pics in a couple of weeks when it blooms. I have several others that will bloom too. Keep in mind though, they have only been planted for 5 weeks so far. No way the blooms will be nearly as good as they should.

In a couple of months I will email you a link to my photbucket. This will be my best bloom season ever.

• charlotte428
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've discovered a few "teeth and tentacles" here, which are new to me! I don't think there is such thing as too much edge (as long as they open) ~ teeth, tentacles, chicken fat, etc. ~ I LOVE them ALL and the MORE the MERRIER!!

• hemboy
    17 years ago

If anyone wants PUFFER FISH, its going on the LA for $410,sf.

• newyorkrita
    16 years ago

Good post, bump.

• lotodig
    16 years ago

Here's a "toothy" beauty that I've had for several years and each year it gets more "toothy" and more beautiful. It is one of my favorites.

HEAVENLY CROWN (Reckamp Klehm)

{{gwi:686506}}

Of course I also love:

FORESTLAKE RAGAMUFFIN
    {{gwi:686508}}

Would love to see your favorite "teeth and tentacles".

Wendy

• alpha_5
    16 years ago

I have fallen in love with teeth over the past few years and have amassed a nice collection of them to hybridize with. Currently, I am in love with the breeding potential of a new seedling that we call "hannibal". I am picturing it here. It has a toothy pedigree--[STARTLE X (FORESTLAKE RAGAMUFFIN X HEAVENLY BEGINNINGS)]. The only flower we own with teeth the size of this seedling is BASS GIBSON and we made a bunch of BG x hannibal seed. I would appreciate your objective opinions of it.

Dale

Here is a link that might be useful: our baby--

• mlwgardener
    16 years ago

Your baby is great! I can see a lot of teethy babies coming from BG and "Hannibal" seed. I'm a huge fan of reds and if you could bring the very good red out with your babies, you would have a Million dollar baby! How old is your baby?

Thanks for sharing, Mona

• alpha_5
    16 years ago

Thank you, Mona."Hannibal" bloomed for the first time in 07.

Dale

• katlynn719
    16 years ago

Dale, Your seedling is wonderful! I love the rich red color with the yellow eye and teeth. I think it's the prettiest red I've seen in a long time.
    Kathy

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

A very nice seedling Dale. How large is the bloom, etc? I too am a lover of reds, and this is a first with teeth, as far as I know. I much prefer the color over the apricot peachy colors found in most toothy ones.
    Be sure to keep us updated on all your upcoming toothy babies.
    Jan

• alpha_5
    16 years ago

Thanks Jan and Kathy. We measured the bloom at 5.5" and the scape at 28". Not sure about the foliage type but with the pedigree we are assuming it is dormant. We used Bass Gibson on reds last year and are anxious to see the results next year.

Dale

• okbt
    16 years ago

Very nice seedling! How does it open in cool weather,and does it melt in the sun or rain? Budcount? Branching?
    Just asking the "hard" questions.I love it!

Betsy

• alpha_5
    16 years ago

Betsy,

Those are some of the questions we will be asking ourselves over the next few years. Don't have all the answers yet. It does not melt in the sun and this was a pretty warm summer here. But, since it was so hot, I can't honestly answer the cool morning opening question as it was not an issue this year. Records show that the scape was branched and bud count listed as 14. Not bad for our seedling field. We normally notice substantial improvement when they are moved to an observation bed. There were 7 sibs in this cross and this is the only one retained. It is so superior to the parents and sibs that I did not feel there was anything to be gained from retaining any of the sibs for linebreeding.

Dale

• shive
    16 years ago

Dale,
    "Hannibal" has a great set of teeth. Congratulations on your hybridizing efforts. Let us know how it performs next season and if you will be registering it.

Debra

• phaltyme21
    16 years ago

PRICKLED PETALS Kay This plant is a good bloomer and retains its texture in heat and rain. It is usually a bit deeper color than this pic.

{{gwi:686509}}

• shive
    16 years ago

Kay,
    I crossed PRICKLED PETALS with several of my other toothy cultivars last summer. I'm especially excited about crosses with JULIE NEWMAR, BARACUDA BAY and Gossard's SUN BEAR.

Debra

• phaltyme21
    16 years ago

I wonder what your cross of BB and PP will look like. I always wanted Baracuda Bay but never got it. I don't have enough space for anymore.

Let's see a pic when it blooms---I know we'll have to wait awhile.

Kay

• thechasman
    16 years ago

Dale,

Love your baby. Like the shape of the teeth.
    A flower with teeth that I saw just today, which knocked my socks off is WILD HAIR. I would love to have it in my hybridizing program, but it is offered only in a collection. I can't justify $1,100.00 to get it.
    Charlie

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Hair

• alpha_5
    16 years ago

Charlie,

I really liked WILD HAIR too. I also liked LADY STEPHANIE VICTORIA REDDING. It was sold out when I contacted Joel last week. Have you seen Jamie Gossard's 08 intros? I have VENUS FLY TRAP coming next spring. It is out of a FORESTLAKE RAGAMUFFIN X HEAVENLY BEGINNINGS seedling just like hannibal.

Dale

Here is a link that might be useful: Gossard 08 intros

• thechasman
    16 years ago

Dale,

So you are one of the lucky ones to get VENUS FLY TRAP. It's sold out currently with a waiting list. VFT is something special, althought I haven't seen it in person.
    I'm struggling not to purchase any more expensive daylilies until I see what my previous crosses produce. I'm going to let those crosses point me in certain directions. I should have a couple thousand seedlings bloom next year. I'm already excided about a few because the fans are so large and dark green. This without watering and feeding. We will see.......
    I'm going to see both Jamie and Joel this weekend at the Mid West Hybridizer's meeting. They are a pretty good group.

Charlie

• alpha_5
    16 years ago

Charlie,

I noticed late Sunday evening that Jamie had updated his site and I emailed an order at that time and followed up with a phone call on Monday morning. I just knew that VFT would not be available long.

Have a good time at the hybridizers meeting. I wish I could go. I have wanted to do it for some time now. I work out of town most weeks and it is tough to give up a weekend at home. Maybe when we retire in 4 years, 3 months and 27 days from now. Would you could give a report here? I think it would be of interest to many of us.

Dale

• raeandsiku
    16 years ago

Dale- still loving Hannibal. Just searched it on the forum (I'm pretty new to it) and had to post just in case you'd still see

• lilynut
    16 years ago

Some of what we have in our garden.

{{gwi:686510}}

• alpha_5
    16 years ago

Raeandsiku-

Thankyou for the kind words. We were in the Domincan Republic for a winter holiday when you posted. The seeds produced with Hannibal pollen have been quite popular on the Lily Auction this winter.

Dale