SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

reseeders but keepers

What plants reseed like the dickens in your yard, but you would never give up? What makes them special enough to warant keeping them even though they are a bother?

Every spring I find myself again sitting on my 'weeding stool' around one of those plants. The kind that make trouble by making a million seedlings in areas they shouldn't. And every year I ask myself the same thing. Why am I keeping these things? Why don't I just chuck em' all and not have to deal with this? But then I step back and realize that many of these 'obnoxious' reseeders are very valuable; not only do they fill those little empty spaces, but many of them provide that little something that the garden would not be the same without.

Over the years I have gotten rid of those reseeders that are really terrible, like Oregano (now in my 'Rampant Bed' in the alley) and Obedient Plant. But I do have several 'reseeders but keepers'. A couple of times, in utter frustration, I have pulled many these plants, only to regret it and put them back.

Rose Campion (Lychnis coronaria) is one of them. The wonderful magenta and those silvery leaves are great. I don't know why I ever considered getting rid of them.

Daisy. I forget the species, but the invasive ones that I think are commonly called ox-eye. I recently re-introduced a few back into the garden. I missed the little white flowers dancing in the breeze!

Scabiosa ochroleuca. Pesky little devil! And hard to pull up too! It has a long tap root on it. But I can't get rid of it! It adds such a nice airy form to the garden.

Hollyhocks too. They are not easy to get pull out, even at seedling stage, because of the tap root. Try getting them out from between pavers! But what garden would be complete without them?

Feverfew. Reseeds everywhere. Every spring I fill buckets and buckets with the thing. Thankfully it is easy to pull up. I like the look of it too, tucked in-between things

Centranthus and Corydalis are two plants many seem to have trouble with. I can see how they might get annoyed with them; they are prolific in the reseeding department! But I love them. They are two of my very favorite plants. Centranthus is a workhorse and has a nice upright form and texture. And who doesn't love that cutie Corydalis?

So what reseeders do you keep dispite the fact that they are an annoyance and just make more work for you in the end? What reseeders do you find to be quite mild mannered though many other people find them a bother?

CMK

Comments (16)

Sponsored