SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19709659

WANTED: Seed traders in Ottawa Canada

User
17 years ago

Hi,

I was thinking of maybe meeting once a month to swap seeds and yack about our gardens, trade seedling overstock in June (after we have planted) in the Ottawa area.

Would anyone be interested in this who lives in the Ottawa area?

I would also love any of your friends/neighbours to join us too.

Please let me know if you are interested and I would happily volunteer to organize this.

Cheers,

McPeg

Comments (40)

• sashaf
    17 years ago

Hi McPeg,

I think this is an excellent idea, and would be totally up for it! I especially like the seedling swap idea, I'm always trying to find good homes for my extras, it just seems such a shame to let them go to waste, so I find places to cram them in (but then, of course, I'll have to find space for anything I get in exchange, but that's *different* ;). Might be a nice chance too to see other ppl's gardens.

I believe you've already got my contact info, please drop me an email if you're planning something, I'd also be quite happy to help with anything!

Sasha

• snowqueen
    17 years ago

I'd love to, I have seeds to trade and I've wintersowed some seeds so should have lots of extras tot rade.
    Donna

• Related Discussions

Have: Hardy Begonias Want: Red Canada Lily, Seven Sisters Rose

Q

Comments (6)
    I would rather trade live plants for live plants since it is too late for starting tomatoes and peppers from seed. But in the Fall, I would trade you Hardy Begonia bulbils for your tomato and pepper seed. With the bulbils, you would have PLENTY of begonias in the spring. Thank you and let me know if you can trade live plants, Suzy
    ...See More

WANTED: ? on sending seed to Canada

Q

Comments (27)
    You get a lot of conflicting info about opium poppies, the largest percentage of what I have read sounds as if it is okay to grow these poppies for floral use, but the problem is when you try to manufacture opium from them. I would imagine you would need a ton of poppies to be worth doing that. Some sites say it is okay to have seeds, but not plants. Frankly, I really don't think nurseries & seed companies could sell the seeds if that is so, that just isn't right. Any legal agency with a lick of sense would nip it in the bud, before it got to the planting stage. I have planted several different kinds in my yard that I received in trade. I don't know that any are opium poppies, several just said poppies. I'm not going to worry about it, I'm certainly not going to manufacture anything.
    ...See More

New AVs from Trader Joes

Q

Comments (14)
    Thanks everyone for the responses! Especially the ID. I don't think I will ever become a collector or showgrower, I'll be happy if I can keep these plants alive, blooming and pest free. I think I will take the advice on keeping the blooms until they die and then giving them all a tepid bath, removing the suckers and repotting in my 1:1 potting mix/perlite. I had a lot of fun doing a division for a plant I got from OSH and ended up getting 5 suckers plus the main plant. It's amazing how much better the original plant is looking after surgery. I really adore the rosebud looking ones, but for some reason, those were in the worst condition. There are small brown spots on a lot of the leaves that looks like mite damage (I've pinched off most of the damaged leaves) and today, I think I saw a bug crawling in the dirt!! Also definitely killed a small black flying bug but I couldn't identify it or tell if it's a pest infestation. Will definitely allow it to bloom and then take care of any pest problems. It's on a desk by itself so hopefully any pests will be contained. I am so terrified of getting any sort of infestation, I think I am mentally psyching myself out more than anything. I think my hypochondriac tendencies are transferring to my plants but I've read so many posts about INVS, thrips, mites, mealybugs... sounds like a nightmare! I have been looking for spilled pollen on all the blooms but haven't found anything yet. I'll have to keep a close eye on all of them but I'm almost excited for them to stop blooming so I can groom them!! One more question, any issues with keeping african violets in the bedroom? Not directly next to the bed but on a bookcase against a wall, any chance pests will harm people?
    ...See More

WANTED: Wanted: Yvonnes salvia

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi Glaswegian, I've been wanting some too. There is a yahoo group dedicated just to Yvonne's salvia - Gardenweb will not allow me to add a link, but I found it just by going to yahoo groups & searching for "Yvonne's Salvia". It took me right there. There are alot of generous people who offer to send them out for SASE, but they are mostly Americans. I posted a question about how to send a SASE when you don't have access to US postage. If I hear back with any generous offers, I'll let you know. Or you could go to yahoo & check it all out. All the best, Gail
    ...See More
  • User
    17 years ago

mcpeg, count me in!

You can reach me at ottawapepper(at)hotmail(dot)com.

Bill

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, then this will be a go for us. I will let this post run for a bit.

I use city transit to get around so I will try to figure a central location for a meeting place.

Please let me know what days suit you in any given week:

Sunday
    Monday
    Wednesday

I work all other dates and cannot commit to meeting.

I propose seed trading at the Ottawa Public Library - 3rd Floor Reference Section by the photocopiers. There are reading tables there for folk to read the papers.

Any other locations are possible if easily accessible for folk.

I am 'thinking' of meeting the week of 15 April. This would give us enough time to trade seeds and plant seeds for May (I use the wintersowing even at this time)....since I have now run completely out of any window space and hubby refuses to let me use the dashboard of the car and truck.....

party pooper!

Don't forget - your friends are also invited to join us.

Ta ta for now,
    McPeg

• User
    17 years ago

McPeg,

What branch? Daytime or evenings? I personally work 8:00 AM to whenever in the evening Monday to Friday (damd technology! LOL).

Bill

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

How about Sunday afternoon at the Main Branch of the Public Library to start (link to library hours) - say 1:30

http://www.biblioottawalibrary.ca/explore/branches/ma_e.cfm

For anyone who has children they could come to the library and visit the children's section, get some books and bring them over to the reference section. (Just a thought so we don't exclude anyone due to child minding issues.)

I work on Sats and lots of folk run around and get their groceries and take kids to weekend events.

How about Sundays at 1:30, Main Library downtown ottawa?

I would be quite happy to get there early to 'hold' a meeting table for us.

Let me know what you think - this would probably be April 15th, Sunday.

Cheers,
    McPeg

• sashaf
    17 years ago

1:30 April 15 works for me....

• darrylenes
    17 years ago

Hi everyone:
    I'm in Carleton Place and would be interested if it were a little closer....west endish!?! Another avid gardening buddy would also take part. Few years back we did an exchange at andrew hayden park for seeds, plants, seedlings, garden related items, etc.....great fun! Is something like this possible? Sundays are good for me.
    darrylenes@aol.com
    p.s. gardenweb email link doesn't ever seem to get to me

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi,
    I have folk who relay on public transport - like myself - I don't drive at all.

Does anyone have any other suggested spot that we could all meet, easily? Please do consider parking space for those who drive?

Also, the GW mail OFTEN goes into either your BULK/TRASH/JUNK mail folder depending upon your email program used because it doesn't recognize unknown email and treats it like spam - so you need to check these folders for GW responses. (I check my bulk mail FIRST everyday because of this.)

Suggestions?

Cheers,
    McPeg

• sashaf
    17 years ago

West End also works better for me (I'm in Fitzroy Harbour), tryin' to think of what's around that would also be close to OC Transpo (and on weekends, at that). Bayshore Mall has a transit station, but don't know how easy it would be to hook up there (the food court?).

Roughly where else is everyone coming from? If there's anyone way east then the library downtown is probably the most central anyhow. It also might be simplest to start there, and then pick the next location ftf.

S:)

• sammyqc
    17 years ago

Hello all. I'd like to join in as well. I'm in Aylmer, but I have a vehicle, so pretty much any location is fine for me (although I hate trying to park downtown, but who doesn't!!)
    I'm also willing to car pool, if anyone is close enough by, or on the way, I don't mind picking folks up. Sundays are usually good for me.

And for any Ottawans that may be interested, there is a yahoo group, ottawa_plantcycle, kind of an offshoot of freecycle, but quite a few members, and they do a lot of trading, etc.

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Proposal Number 2:

CARLINGWOOD MALL - (their would be plenty of parking, shopping and we could meet at the Carlingwood Dining Lounge inside the mall - so far I count a possible 6 - 8 people including friends. At this number a food court area would be hard to secure, noisy and very busy to sit down and lay out seeds. The restaurant is in the backend corner of the mall. I would be quite happy to get to the restaurant a little early to ask for a table but we would all have to be willing to at least buy a coffee or something....I am quite happy to order a lunch. This is a very average restaurant with mall average food but at least I could try and get a table in the back room where it is quieter and I could leave a note with the GardenWeb Lunch written on it so the staff would know where to direct folk to...you can't see the back room from the front of the mall.

This would be a little more west end, much better FREE parking and shopping available if you need to pick up groceries or the like.

Bayshore mall I do not know at all by transit nor am I familiar with a meeting area in there - I don't think a food court would be very conducive to a fun trade.

In the warmer weather I'd be for an outdoor meeting in a park or something.

Carlingwood Mall - agree or disagree to start?

Cheers,
    McPeg

• sammyqc
    17 years ago

Carlingwood works for me. And I'd like to reiterate my offer to car pool. Warmer weather, we should meet at people's homes/gardens (to help out with weeding)!!!Just kidding!

• snowqueen
    17 years ago

Carlingwood works for me too. Now I need to get my seeds sorted. :)
    Donna

• anijunga
    17 years ago

Hi, I'm going to try indoor seedlings for the first time this year. I'd be interested in meeting at Carlingwood Mall too. I've never been to a seed exchange before. I assume I would just bring my seed packets?

Thanks!

Anijunga
    kkettler_at_gmail_dot_com

• snowqueen
    17 years ago

HMM I posted awhile ago about my suggestion to maybe meet at The Experimental Farm for the plant swap but it seems to have gotten lost in cyberspace. Free parking(off Prince of Wales), lots of space, picnic tables-I think it's easy to get to by bus. Just an idea.
    Donna

• sashaf
    17 years ago

Carlingwood works for me! I have no problem with buying something, 1:30 is nice timing for a lazy-late Sunday lunch.

I've never done one of these either, I just figured I'd bring my seed collection. Sammyqc & I have also decided to replace a planned mail-swap with a small seedling trade, rather than wait for Canada Post before we can plant.

The Experimental Farm, how very a-propos!! We should think about that for some time later in the season (read - warmer). Is there shelter in case it rains?

I also love the idea of seeing other people's gardens, but I guess that should wait until we've had a meeting or two, so we all know we're not hooking up with a bunch of crazies :) (or at least, not harmfully so ;).

And another thought - perhaps when the time is right we could think about produce-swapping (for the veggie growers, anyhow). There are so many heirloom tomatoes out there, for instance, that I couldn't possibly grow them all, but would love a chance to try some (which means, of course, I *will* be growing them next year ;).

Thanks so much, McPeg, for organizing this!

• User
    17 years ago

Carlingwood works for me. Seed swaping, a bite and a beverage sounds like a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Bill

• sammyqc
    17 years ago

Hey again. I like the idea of the Farm even better. For those of us with kids, it would make a fun outing. I could send my husband off with the kids to explore the farm, while I stay gabbing about gardening/plants and swapping seeds/plants (extremely boring according to them). Just my two cents.

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think, due to unstable weather at this point, the first meeting should be at Carlingwood Mall. Here is a reprint of the details originally noted:

CARLINGWOOD MALL - (their would be plenty of parking, shopping and we could meet at the Carlingwood Dining Lounge inside the mall - so far I count a possible 6 - 8 people including friends. At this number a food court area would be hard to secure, noisy and very busy to sit down and lay out seeds. The restaurant is in the backend corner of the mall. I would be quite happy to get to the restaurant a little early to ask for a table but we would all have to be willing to at least buy a coffee or something....I am quite happy to order a lunch. This is a very average restaurant with mall average food but at least I could try and get a table in the back room where it is quieter and I could leave a note with the GardenWeb Lunch written on it so the staff would know where to direct folk to...you can't see the back room from the front of the mall.

June Meeting - Experimental Farm - weather permitting. Great place for the family, stroll through the garden beds (we could do this after and discuss the plants). This could be a seedling swap with our leftovers. We could also plant a picnic lunch for all. I agree with Snowqueen on this.

Anyhow, unless there is anyone extremely unhappy about Carlingwood - let's start here first - indoors.

Cheers,
    McPeg

• sashaf
    17 years ago

Sounds like a plan! See you then!

• darrylenes
    17 years ago

Hi all:
    Carlingwood Dining Lounge, April 15, 130pm, sounds good to me!
    Darrylene

• anijunga
    17 years ago

I was all excited to go to this meet-up, however, I have to attend my boyfriend's family function they're having out of town that same day! :( Hope everyone has fun. I'd like to make it to the next one.

Kathy

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello everyone,
    I am still sowing seeds when I can and still sorting packets for our exchange. Spring fever is at a high pitch for me. My spring bulbs are just poking their heads out.

So far I count the following to attend:
    Myself
    Sasha
    Donna
    Bill
    Darrylene

Any others? Friends?

I would like to know so I can determine how large a table to get us.

Ta ta for now!
    McPeg

• sammyqc
    17 years ago

I am going to try and make it. It might be helpful too, if people post a little wish list. And is anyone else looking for a tomato or two? I have completely gone overboard, and could pot up some extra seedlings if anyone would like one.
    I have Beefsteak, Riesentraube, Rouge D'Irak, Amish Paste and Roma. Those are just the ones that are growing right now. Or perhaps wait until May, if things work out. I have a whole bunch more seeds to get sowing this weekend, then I should have a longer list of available seedlings. The weather has been so nice lately, I think it has done something to my brain. I have even been able to put some flats out in the sun for a few hours, never done that in March before!!

• darrylenes
    17 years ago

Hi everyone:
    I've confirmed with my gardening buddies and we are 3 McPeg. LeeAnn, Deborah, and myself. I'll be bringing perennial seeds (such as coneflower 'magnus', rudbeckia, poppy mix (annual), pink mallow, red monarda,and whatever else), a leaf from a plant that I hope someone can identify (driving me crazy can't find it in the books), some photos of my garden if I can find them (love to see others!). If anyone has any culinary/tea herbs, vibrant coloured yarrow and phlox,liatris and surprises of course.
    Looking forward to it.....see you then!
    Darrylene

• sashaf
    17 years ago

Here's a link to my exchange page, I'm not really looking for any specific seeds anymore, but I have a number still available for trade; you know, for whatever shows up at the swap that I never knew I needed and suddenly can't do without :).

If things go well, I may also have some pepper seedlings I can share, possibly a tomato or two also. If anyone would be interested in those, I'd appreciate if you could bring a 500ml yogurt tub in exchange, as that's what they'll be in and I find I'm perpetually short of tubs.

Top of my wish list now would be a chunk of rhubarb, but I don't know whether April would be too soon to split some (maybe next time). I'm also hoping to plant garlic this fall, but again, that'll have to wait for another swap.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on the 15th!

Sasha

Here is a link that might be useful: My Exchange List

• sammyqc
    17 years ago

Hey Sasha, I have a rhubarb plant that I have been unsuccessfully trying to kill for the past five years. Didn't plant it in a good spot, it is too green for my liking, and I just couldn't be bothered with it. I'm not sure if it was in a better spot with better soil and better care, it might do well i.e. sweeter. But I'm not a big fan, and if you want it, I can dig it up as soon as the ground is workable. I have no idea what type it is, lost the tag a long time ago. Bad karma to really kill a plant, but if I can find it a new home......

• lmdw
    17 years ago

Hello - I just found this link. Would've loved to come but have friends from out of town coming that weekend. The original post talked about June - could we plan a second meeting, even before the first one happens, so that we can block it off on our calendars in advance? Maybe Sun. May 27 (weekend after long weekend) or Sun. June 3rd? Could swap plants in a semi-organized manner eg. people post some wants/haves and all could bring a few of what they can spare. Probably too late for seedlings by then?!?

Even though I can't go, I think the Carlingwood location is good for the April meeting. I'm also located in SW Nepean.

Happy to see fellow gardeners in Ottawa here!

• anijunga
    17 years ago

Woohoo! My boyfriend's family thing got cancelled! I'll be bringing vegetable seeds and will be looking for flowers to trade.

See you then,

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: My seeds to trade

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I now count about 8 people.

Just a friendly reminder to confirm - this is a 'seed' trade in the restaurant.

I was thinking of having the 'seedling' trade in June at the Experimental Farm with our leftovers.

This should be a hoot! I can't wait!

I will be asking for a table in the back room (you can't see it from the mall front, only the diner portion).

Cheers,
    McPeg

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

TTT
    Our seed trade is firm - I will be looking for a table for 8 people - any others or more friends, please let me know so I can ask for the right space.
    Cheers,
    McPeg

• sashaf
    17 years ago

We'll probably need to keep the seedlings out of the restaurant (botulism makes restauranteurs nervous - go fig :). I'd save them for the seedling swap at the end of May/beg of June, but they need to be in the ground before then (I ended up very disappointed last year: I was in France when I should have been transplanting, popped them in the garden at the end of May and got a bumper crop ... of green tomatoes).

I don't want to trod on any toes, though - please let me know if there are objections to this. If not, the easiest thing would probably be for anyone with/wanting seedlings to park in the covered parking by the library (sheltered, and usually empty/sparsely occupied), and we can hook up there after we're done at the restaurant. The idea isn't to preempt the experimental farm seedling swap - just to get the early stuff in the ground on mother nature's schedule :)

Cheers,

Sasha

• User
    17 years ago

Hi McPeg and All,

Wow, a lot of activity since I last checked this post!

I updated my seed trade list in preparation for our meeting. I'll have varying quantities of the seeds listed AND I won't promise to be organized!

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Bill

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just a reminder.
    Cheers!

• brobicho
    17 years ago

I just found this post and would love to join you all on Sunday! I'll call my girlfriend to see if she wants to come too! This is her very first gardening season so might be fun for her!! I have far too many seeds to list and if space is limited, I'll just bring but a few!

I'd love to join the Plant Swap as well although days I can't make it because of my participation in other events are:

- May 13 (Mothers' Day) the Plant Sale at the Experimental Farm
    - May 27 the Plant and Garden Fair in Champlain Park

See you on Sunday at Carlingwood Shopping Center!
    Berni(ce)

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    I am working today and LOOKING FORWARD to meeting all of you tomorrow. I will ask for a table for 10 - hopefully so we can have a little extra space to sort out our seeds.

I will also have a name badge on, and I will have a 'Garden Web' sign on the table - trust me - I won't be hard to find.

Bill has posted with regards to our 'etiquette' for Sunday. Any thoughts are welcome. I am just winging this for us.

I look forward to meeting everyone and hope that our event is a blast!

Other folk are still welcome to join us - just remember we are meeting at a restaurant so please be courteous for their space and order a beverage or something.

Ta ta for now!
    McPeg (aka Peggy)

• willy46
    17 years ago

hi everyone
    would love to go to the The Experimental Farm swap seeds and maybe plants too.will have too.
    july would be great time too. let me know when you have it there.please.

• User
    17 years ago

Welcome willy46.

McPeg (Peggy) is our ring leader... whether she wants the role or not LOL!

I don't think anything is firm yet for the next meet. Watch this board for news when something starts forming... it's kind of organic... someone starts a thread and it grows from there. Eventually, we meet and everyone leaves happy.

Hope to see you at the next meeting... where ever / when ever LOL.

Bill

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh great! Now I am a ring leader. Hubby's gonna just love that!
    I will post a new thread for a June plant/book/anything garden swap in Ottawa.
    It's been quiet the last week or so on here - I am guessing with the warmer weather in my neck of the woods folk are outside starting their spring clean up (or finishing it off...). Myself, I am tending my seedlings which are now popping in containers outside and nurturing those already growing inside the house.
    Cheers for now and I look forward to meeting everyone again, real soon.
    McPeg

Sponsored
More Discussions