SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herblady49

An Alternative to Stockade Fencing

16 years ago

{{gwi:645844}} {{gwi:645845}}

When I was designing my front gardens, I needed to separate the driveway from the gardens, to create a feeling of privacy, and I wanted a structure to showcase my climbing roses. My criteria was that I need a fence at least 8ft tall, strong, reasonably priced, and with good air circulation.

After researching, I came to the conclusion that I wasn't concerned about the appearance of the fence because I was going to cover it with my roses and clematis. So I convinced my husband to put up wood posts every 4 ft, and string heavy wire every 2ft, across all posts. The first year it was not pretty, and people were wondering what I was thinking, but by the second year everything was filling in, and now it's one of my favorite places in the garden. In the first picture you can get a better idea of how the fence was designed. The bare spot has now filled in and the fence has completely blocked out the driveway.

{{gwi:645846}}

This is a large arbor in the back of my property, instead of wire, my husband installed iron strips to make a lattice.

{{gwi:645847}}
{{gwi:645848}}

On my 4ft high triple rail fence I grow large climber/shrub roses. The two in the picture are John Davis and William Baffin. Both can grow 8-10 ft high. There are many large shrub roses or climbers that you can grow into a shrub. All make wonderful privacy screens, but need the support of a fence. My favorite rose supplier is Pickering Nurseries. They have a online catalog filled with information.

Now if roses aren't your thing. Plant fast growing flowering shrubs. Following is a list of the ones that I grow. They will all make excellent privacy screens. Check out Spring Meadows Nursery, and please note, they do not sell retail, but they have a wonderful online catalog filled with plant descriptions and pictures. There have been many new hybrids being introduced, and some of the foliage colorations are spectacular. All their plants can be found commercially.

My Favorite Privacy Screen List

Buddleia "Butterfly Bush" Butterfly magnet. Blooms till frost. Prune 1 ft from the ground every spring to keep it at 5-6 feet tall.

Hibiscus syriacus "Rose of Sharon". They have come out with some beautiful new hybrids. Blooms all summer.

Ilex verticillata "Winterberry". Loves a moisture retentive soil. Birds love the berries.

Kolwitzia "Beauty Bush". Thousands of pastel pink flowers from top to bottom.

Philadelphus "Mock Orange". Fragrant

Sambucus "Elderberry". Birds love the berries. Elderberry Jelly and Elderberry Wine.

Sorbaria "Ural Falsespirea", Makes huge White Astilbe-like flowers.

Syringea "Lilac". Fragrant. I can't get enough Lilacs.

Vitex "Chastetree". Fragrant. Prune 2 feet from the ground in the spring to keep it 6-7 feet.

Weigela. Hummingbird magnet.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Travels

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County