SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rick777_gw

To fence or not to fence

rick777
10 years ago

Greetings,

I live in a heavily wooded area. My wife and I like the woods, however our neighbor seems to have a vendetta against all the natural plants and trees. They have over the last 5 years cleared most of their land, stripped and cleared the ground and replaced it with grass. They then proceeded to cut down many very old evergreens (50-80 ft tall) because their lawn was not getting enough light... what they didn't cut down they removed about 75% of the branches.

On top of all this, they have built a sports court for their children who play a game that involved the rules of basketball with the auditory element of screaming non-stop on most nice days. They have a chain link fence area for the their dog which they leave outside whining and crying most days and they pile everything they don't like on our shared property line.

Unfortunately, although we are on an acre of land, the house was build relatively close to this property line. It is legal, although not particularly common, to have a fence up to 6 feet in my area. I am considering this option as 1) I don't want to see them anymore. 2) I hope it might slightly reduce their noise. 3) As they run out of their own trees I am concerned they might "accidentally" cut down some of our trees one day.

Since they seem determined to utilize every bit of their property, even the portions of it which are uncomfortably close to our home - I think I would rather look at a fence than them sitting on lawn chairs 30 feet from our home when we both have an acre of land.

So, in short, considering building a 120 foot fence along that entire property line. Something solid and cedar, appropriate for the neighborhood. 6 feet tall for maximum blockage. The property line in question is away from the road on the side of the house.

My questions are: 1) for the future sale of my home, does anyone have an opinion if a fence would probably be better or worse in this situation? 2) if I do go ahead with the fence, would there be any problem planting some fast growing trees like leeland cypress near it to break up the visual a bit? 3) is there a better option?

Comments (10)