SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whiteforest_gw

Help selecting double daylilies

whiteforest
12 years ago

I would love to get some double daylily bulbs this year. It's my first year in my first home, so my yard and gardens are getting a complete redo, but what an overwhelming task it is just to coordinate plants, with different bloom times, etc.

I would love to have daylilies that bloom spring, summer and fall, and would like some pinkish to coral, deep purple/burgundy/blacks, and some cream. (In other words, I do not want yellow, orange or red.) Any suggestions for varieties to suit what I'm looking for?

Comments (34)

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

Do you want to scare your guests?? It sounds like a perfect scenery for a horror movie. With the real colours that are available in daylilies, the effect will be even worse tha all-pink or all-white gardens. My advice is : go for yellow, orange, and red instead. Unless you love to feel depressed.

• sophies
    12 years ago

Blueberry Puff
    {{gwi:681146}}

Peggy Jeffcoat
    {{gwi:681147}}

• Related Discussions

Selecting Daylilies

Q

Comments (8)
    Dear Janette, I just started hybridizing last year. I think it makes sense to look at what plants you currently have and really like, then ask yourself how they could be improved. Then look for new intros that can provide that improvement. Do you love a plant in all ways except that you wish it had better branching? And you'd like it to rebloom? Then find something that is compatible with the color and form of the daylily you love (probably you don't want to cross a spider with a round bagel or a yellow with a pink), something that has great branching and reblooms. Just looking at your list of your top favorite 5 or 10 daylilies and asking yourself what would make them better will help you create a description of the plants you want to buy. Then you have the fun of hunting down those plants! If you can't afford a 2013 intro, look at the 2010 or 2011 intros. Their prices are lower, but the flowers and plant habit will still be more up to current standards. You want to have fun, of course, but it is very nice to also create something that takes advantage of all the hard work of other hybridizers.
    ...See More

Daylilies, please help me select

Q

Comments (15)
    Two of mine that are good plants, both vigorous, big daylilies with lots of buds and a nice height to flower size ratio, are Strutter's Ball and Always Afternoon. They are somewhat older daylilies and not expensive. They are both nice colours that go with other things in the garden. I also recommend the ones I posted about recently, Matt and Lilting Belle, although neither is as huge or vigorous.
    ...See More

Double check my hood insert selection? Please.

Q

Comments (2)
    Go with the larger hood. When I was researching for my hood, I found that it was recommended to go with a hood larger than your range or cooktop. I have a 36" cooktop and a 42" built-in hood. I think it looks great and I am glad I didn't go with a smaller one. Also, the height placement of your hood will be dicated by a number of factors including: local building code, cooktop specs, and the hood specs. Mine had a very specific range in which it could be placed. The bump-out should be fine - just be sure to bump your hood foward too so you can capture the steam/oils etc.
    ...See More

Double wall oven selection

Q

Comments (11)
    We chose Miele because they had the best combi steam oven in our price range - among other things, it overs a broiler and a plumbed option (the only other one that offers a plumbed model is Gagneau, which was way out of the budget). Also, my mom has standard convection Miele ovens and they're great. We're pairing that with the 6281 because it has all the same (great) cooking features, but just basic Direct Select knob controls. We don't feel like we need fancy controls for our basic convection oven. The M Touch is a benefit for the steam oven, as the steam control is more complex, but for the convection oven we really prefer the really basic controls of the Direct Select. I would NOT chose the Sensotronic controls. That's what my mom has, and while we love the oven's cooking performance, everyone agrees the controls are clunky, and we wish they were more straightforward. I should add, for the steam oven we're doing the XL rather than XXL cavity, as we think there's an advantage of having one oven be smaller and quicker to heat up (while we often use two ovens at once, we almost never need two full height ovens at once). This has the added benefit of keeping the price down.
    ...See More
  • Nancy
    12 years ago

I'm not quite sure your expectations will meet the spring/summer/fall bloom. Daylilies tend to be early/mid/late blooming, with early bloomers starting in mid May or so. The daylily blooms for a few weeks, rebloomers may rebloom during that bloom time, or send up new scapes a few weeks later but not bloom so heavily as the 1st time. In a good year a plant may rebloom a 3rd time. I just want you to be aware that one plant will not bloom all summer long. You will want to look at bloom time for extra early & extra lates to get a longer bloom season. You may be aware of this, but I don't want you to be disappointed :)

I don't have a lot of doubles, I like Big Kiss
    {{gwi:681148}}

John Kirkland often reblooms some for me
    {{gwi:657966}}

You must have Siloam Double Classic
    {{gwi:659093}}

• floota
    12 years ago

Here are a few rally good doubles.
    DOROTHY AND TOTO by Tim Herrington is one of the best doubles out there, IMHO.

{{gwi:681149}}

EZEKIEL is an older, ( cheap) near black:

{{gwi:681150}}

HONEY CRUNCH CUPCAKE is another really good one by Tim Herrington, and it blooms mid-late.

{{gwi:681151}}

This may not be in your "color scheme" but consider adding some of the brighter colors for contrast. Dark colors recede into the landscape and the bright yellows and oranges make the dark ones pop! This is a tetraploid by Dan Trimmer, DOCTOR CHARLES MOLANO:

{{gwi:681152}}

Another cheap, older but dark colored one is NIGHT EMBERS:

{{gwi:681153}}

VANILLA FLUFF is also fragrant and a big cream:

{{gwi:681154}}

ROYAL CORSAGE is an extra early bloomer but a good purple during the early season:

{{gwi:681155}}

Hope this helps!

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

Siloam Double Classic is a beauty that I need to get. Here's Gladys Campbell. So far for me the only time she doesn't double is right after I've moved it. In my garden it is more of a melon/pink blend.

{{gwi:654741}}

{{gwi:661710}}

I know you said no oranges but Kwanso is a nice orange/red
    {{gwi:659326}}

I did buy Peggy Jeffcoat last spring. It's a creamy white color.
    {{gwi:681156}}

• Ed
    12 years ago

whiteforest 6,
    There is nothing wrong with pastel colors. I love them. Don't let negative posts (very rare here) discourage you.
    Ed

• bluenosens
    12 years ago

HI, I don't have pics but I grow these among others. Check them out on Tinkers. Absolutely Fabulous. This blooms single at first than doubles. ALso love Voodoo Dancer avery nice dark one. Dublin Elaine is a solid oldie. Also I could add Peach Magnolia. It may not be a colour you're looking for but it is stunning when clumping. 42nd Street seldom doubles here. Peggy Bass is shell pink.Ruby Knight is a good red. And I agree that Gladys Cambell is a fine double. There are lots of choices for you. Highland Lord hasn't doubled here for me yet but has good colour. Have fun. The Joiners catalogue alone would give you lots of doubles to choose from. cheers and good planting, lloyd

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

xokientx, I think it is probably my post you're referring to. It was not meant as negative, just as a little warning , that's all. I've been there, I know it. Just because you like pastels(which has no relevance here whatsoever), does not mean you are entitled to lash others just because they want to warn. Just listen : pinkish, purple-burgundy-black, cream! Can you possibly imagine something more sinister, gloomy and grim? You can just as well suggest painting the whole house in dark grey or black-brown, impaling some people at the gate and play the main team by Kilar from the Dracula movie. Just think before you write your passive agressive comments. The poster of the thread is a newbie. Does it tell you anything?

• tepelus
    12 years ago

I don't really have a lot of dark doubles, I have more dark singles. I like dark flowers, and I've never had anyone think I impale people for having a few dark ones in my yard. I actually had a daylily bed themed for Dracula (and have that daylily) but I had to relocate everything because the boyfriend tore down the old garage of which it was near and built a new one where the bed was. Now all of my daylilies from that bed are mixed with the daylilies from another from that same area. Anyway, a few of my doubles:

Storm Chaser (flowers really well and multiplies really well)

{{gwi:660139}}

Night Embers is so so for me

{{gwi:660743}}

Fairy's Palace is a beautiful coral (and has shparklies!)

{{gwi:666961}}

Dewy Sweet is a small that has done well for me, and has a purple center

{{gwi:664336}}

Jerry Pate Williams always doubles to some extent, and has done well

{{gwi:657957}}

Schnickel Fritz is short, so good for the front of the border, and doubles well

{{gwi:660131}}

Then there is always Siloam Double Classic

{{gwi:659077}}

And my favorite double, Sweeping Shadows

{{gwi:660149}}

I think I may need to get a few more dark doubles.

Karen

• whiteforest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for your suggestions, and feel free to keep them coming. I will probably spread my landscaping overhaul out over 2 summers so there will be plenty of plants going in. :) I love many of these suggestions!

ngraham, Sorry for not being clear. I did mean early bloomers and late bloomers, and preferably rebloomers, not that I was expecting 1 plant to produce blooms spring-fall.

Wow...wieslaw, I might be more offended by your second comment than your first. I don't see the scheme as being grimm at all.

I can assure you it will be quite beautiful, especially considering they won't be the only plants in my garden. I'm using the daylilies as contrast for plants that will be going in...most of which are varying shades of purple from light to dark and pastel to bright, coraly-oranges and white. If you don't like my taste and have nothing to suggest I plant, please allow others to help me find what I'm looking for.

• Nancy
    12 years ago

I just wasn't certain. I have a friend who was really disappointed when she bought several daylilies to find they didn't "rebloom" all season long :)
    I don't have many double daylilies, but I have planted dark daylilies with light ones, I think it makes them more vivid.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

Whiteforest , it was not my intention to offend you by any means. My response was entirely built on your initial posting. I've got an impression that you only wanted those colours, and judging by the responses of others, I'm not the only one. I just gave you an honest and useful advice. I'm not a person who would exclaim 'What a terrific idea!! and then roll my eyes behind your back. If you only want to hear that kind of advice, you should formulate it clearly.
    Secondly, the word grim is not offensive in my vocabulary. Here are the meanings of the word 'grim' taken from audioenglish.net/dictionary:
    1. not to be placated or appeased or moved by entreaty
    2. shockingly repellent; inspiring horror
    3. harshly ironic or sinister
    4. causing dejection
    5. harshly uninviting or formidable in manner or appearance
    6. characterized by hopelessness; filled with gloom

I used it in the 5th meaning. It can hardly offend you personally.

Thirdly, I have no power to prevent anybody from giving you advice. I just can't take a passive aggressive bystanders, whose only contribution is to pass negative judgments on others. I'm a moderator on another forum, and believe me, they are the most annoying kind of people.

Fourthly, just to remind you: you are absolutely in no position to select responders. I gave you advice, you can take it or leave it, but nobody gave you the mandate to decide what others are supposed to say. It is a public service site. When you create your own site, then you can decide what people may or may not say. If you're so easily offended , then you should refrain from asking for advice in public places

And to tepelus: I like burgundy and dark colours too, but as accent plants, and not as the only component of the entire garden, as the initial post suggested.

• whiteforest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The initial post suggested nothing, other than those are the colors of DAYLILIES that I would like, being that this is a daylily section of the forum. I'm not interest in being a part of a forum where people are going to respond such as you have not once, not twice, but three times in one single thread. What happened if you don't have anything nice/helpful to say, don't say anything at all? There's enough drama in life. Any more of this and I think I'll look for my gardening advice on another forum.

To the rest of you, thank you! There are several varieties suggested that I'm going to have to look for. Dewy Sweet, Ezekiel, Vanilla Fluff, Honey Crunch Cupcake, John Kirkland, Siloam, Storm Chaser and the Doctor Charles Molano all stick out for me.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

What about if you do the same as you suggest for others? You created more drama then I could do in 100 responses. Honestly, I think your hysteria is unbelievable. Do not make me responsible for all calamities of the entire world, just because I expressed my honest opinion. There is absolutely no need for such behaviour.

• katlynn719
    12 years ago

IMO, whiteforest has shown remarkable restraint. I hope you'll give our forum another chance. Ed was correct, this kind of negativity is rare here.

Who the heck is wieslaw59 ?! You need to get a grip.

Kathy

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

Kathy: Restraint? She tried to silence me. And for what? Because I said her colour scheme was gloomy? I find your remark very rude. It is not your forum! You need to get a grip.

• lisa_3
    12 years ago

We all have different ideas as to what is pretty for garden themes and what isn't-but the one who's opinion matters is the one who gets to enjoy the garden daily! My niece wanted a black and white only garden-to me that sounds horrid but she loves it, having only added red to the color scheme. Please don't run away whiteforest-most people on here are fun and friendly. Lecture done.
    I have had good luck with Peggy Jeffcoat -Joiner, the hybridizer, has many pretty doubles in similar color tones. Dewy Sweet also pictured above grows fast and is cheap. There is another dark one called Sweetest Cherry that looks similar to Night Embers
    I also would recommend Peggy Bass
    {{gwi:658717}}
    Peace on Earth
    {{gwi:658715}}
    Siloam Olin Frazier
    {{gwi:659135}}

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

Lisa, I'm fun and friendly too. I wonder what you would do if somebody just kept silencing you through nearly entire thread? Maybe it is normal in her neighborhood, but I will not allow anybody to treat me this way.

• carolkcmo_5
    12 years ago

I have been growing singles for many years but have only a few doubles. Most of my plants are in the salmon/coral range with peach/rose. This is part of a sunset scheme (with true blue). I have a few blacks for accents. I do have a few so called whites (really pale yellow) but they go elsewhere (too yellow). The yellows, off white, gold, wine, mauve go in a another bed further out. I have one ugly red (will get rid of it) and no really orange ones (like the ditch ones). The salmon/coral pink/blue/black accent garden is breathtaking. I add really white plants with it, like shasta daisies and white annuals. You will be pleased.

• whiteforest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

carolkcmo 5 - Sounds like we're on the same page!

I ordered a few daylilies, including Big Kiss, Vanilla Fluff and Siloam Double Classic, this week and I'm excited to get something in the ground. I'm holding out for our farmer's market flower day before I add too much more right now, because their prices are unbeatable.

• katlynn719
    12 years ago

whiteforest - excellent choices - some of my favorites!

BIG KISS is a great performer with blooms well above the foliage -
    {{gwi:681161}}

SILOAM DOUBLE CLASSIC has short scapes and needs to be placed towards the front of the bed -
    {{gwi:681163}}

I don't have Vanilla Fluff. Instead, I bought one of it's offspring LAND OF COTTON, but I think they look similar -
    {{gwi:681165}}

You're off to a great start!
    Kathy

• whiteforest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Kathy!

• lynxe
    12 years ago

One of my very favorite daylilies, and one that nobody's yet suggested, is MERINGUE MIRAGE.

According to the American Hemerocallis Society database, this daylily by Darrel Apps (1999), is "height 33", bloom 5.25", season M, Dormant, Diploid, Fragrant, 18 buds, 4 branches, Double 100%, Cream and yellow orange blend above green yellow throat. (Siloam Double Classic � Frances Joiner)." Don't let the color description put you off: both in my garden and at Darrel Apps's former Woodside Nursery, MERINGUE MIRAGE blooms/bloomed as a basically cream daylily with touches of color.

You might want to hold off on buying it, however, as I see that you already have some cream doubles on order. But if you want another one, I highly recommend this one!

Off the top of my head, some hybridizers who are known for and/or who have introduced doubles include Joiner, Pryor, Tankesley-Clarke, Kropf, and of course we can't leave out Kirchhoff and Herrington. I'm sure I've left out people off the list, and some Kirchhoffs, Joiners, and Herringtons may do better for you than others, depending what your zone 6 garden is like....

Re: color schemes....beauty and the eye of the beholder and all that. At our old house, I once did a bed consisting of fuschia, other bright pinks, and oranges. My "Bad Taste" Garden was my protest against all the lovely, refined English-styled and pastel gardens in the borough. But I seemed to have been the only person who liked it. How strange. ;)

BTW a word of caution on all the pink and dark-colored suggestions. Depending on soil & other growing conditions, some pinks can appear salmon-y (I'm speaking from experience on that one, and many dark purples will look like maroons or red-purples. So, for those colors, you might want to either see them in area gardens or, if you can't do that, don't spend too much on them.

• whiteforest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did a google search for the Meringue Mirage. It's beautiful!

I don't see too many interesting daylilies around here in person. Just "landscaper orange", as I like to call them. That is part of why I don't want any orange/yellow.

When we were house hunting last summer we walked into my dream house. It was a massive 1913 English revival with all of the original details and the front walkway was lined with what I'm sure now was Siloam Double Classics in full bloom. We ended up buying a miniature version of that house, a 1930 english cottage revival with about 1/4 the square footage so I'm drawing some inspiration from the wonderful gardens at the other house and making this my dream home, inside and out.

• sann777
    12 years ago

So sorry you got such a reaction from wieslaw59. I have lots of doubles, especially in the pastel colors of pink, peachy pink, and cream. I love Vanilla Fluff, Snow Blizzard, Peggy Jeffcoat, Land of Cotton all gorgeous creams by Joiner. Scatterbrain, Scratch and Sniff, Jeweled Tiera, Sweeping Shadows, and Big Kiss are lovely peachy-pinks (Joiner's). I don't care for the purple daylilies much. Rebecca Marie is another Joiner that is one of favorites. I also have Siloam Dbl Classis, Country Music Queen. Castle Cotton Candy by Castleberry is a smaller bloom but it has the most flowers on it of anything I grow. Good Luck

• floota
    12 years ago

I forgot to include MERINGUE MIRAGE.It is indeed yummy and quite hardy.

{{gwi:681168}}
    {{gwi:681170}}

Have grown it for many years! It's a keeper.

• blue23rose
    12 years ago

You don't say what height you would prefer, but I have a few that might fill the bill as far as color:

I'll start with one of my favorites:

NELL DEAN
    {{gwi:681172}}

LINGERING LOVELINESS
    {{gwi:681174}}

SILOAM LADY LUCIA
    {{gwi:681176}}

SCATTERBRAIN
    {{gwi:681178}}
    BIG KISS
    {{gwi:681180}}

I have a few others, probably too red, orange, or yellow to your liking, but you are welcome to take a peek in my photobucket folder that has my doubles. There aren't very many.

http://photobucket.com/daylilydoubles

Happy Hunting!!

Vickie

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

Seeing those photos of MERINGUE MIRAGE, I may have to break down and add it to my doubles. :-).

Julia

• daylilydayzed
    12 years ago

Whiteforest said"I would love to get some double daylily bulbs this year."
    This not the correct terminology. Daylilies do not have bulbs. They have tuberous roots. Only true lilies have bulbs.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Wow I am glad you started this thread because there are some beautiful doubles on here I will have to hunt for. Just remember you can always move plants around so don't get discouraged if you don't like a particular combo after its planted. Just have fun!! Judy

• Nancy
    12 years ago

I'm glad you started the thread too. I don't really care for doubles, personally, but I've spotted a couple I really like here.

• whiteforest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think my bank account is regretting that I started this thread! Hah, I just spent $230 on daylilies but I think I got some really nice ones.

My Oakes order:

BIG KISS
    SAVANNAH DEBUTANTE
    CATHERINE NEAL
    SILOAM DOUBLE CLASSIC
    SILOAM PLUM TREE
    CODYTED
    COUNTRY FAIR WINDS
    ELIZABETH SALTER
    DEWY SWEET
    VANILLA FLUFF

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Whooohoooo!! Yay for daylily orders! Looks like a great order! You are gonna get some nice big clumps from Oakes I just know it!! Now go get that camera ready so you can snap us some pics when all your new babies are blooming!! Take care,Judy

• julrich
    12 years ago

Here's a nice double for you...

Here is a link that might be useful: Imagine Me