SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
honorbiltkit

Non-drastic remedy for over-clover?

honorbiltkit
12 years ago

Two years ago, in a small south facing yard, I rototilled the grass with an eye to establishing a cottage garden. (I am a pretty experience shade gardener, but this is my first fun in the sun.)

When the newly planted perennials looked a bit lonely the first year, I broadcast wildflower seed to fill in. The effect was a bit over the top, although I had visits from hummingbirds as well as butterflies.

{{gwi:645229}}

Last year, I pulled out all weeds except two kinds of clover, on the grounds that it has a neat habit and fixes nitrogen in the soil. Now -- in this freakishly early spring that follows almost no winter here in Washington DC -- I am not even able to see where some of the perennials are coming through, because the clover is five and six inches high and very dense.

This is how it was two months ago.

{{gwi:645230}}

All the green behind the fence to the right of the gate is clover. Now it is thicker and has spilled through the fence rather nicely.

My inclination is to let the perennials show and pull the clover back from them a half foot or so. There will still be a lot of fairly invasive clover left, so I will have to do that periodically, until the perennials are more mature or I think of something else.

Does anyone have a better idea, please? I really like the look of the clover as a kind of naturalized ground cover, but I don't want it to choke off everything else.

Thanks.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville