SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Vines in your garden

What vines do you have in your garden? Which are your favorites, and why? For some reason I am very interested in vines (for the moment at least, until the next craze hits). Might be putting in a trellis or two this year for a couple more kinds :-]

The vines in my garden:

Golden Hops vine (Humulus lupulus 'Aureus'). Bright golden foliage until summer and red stems. The only downside is that it gets HUGE and can sometimes send out runners. Still love it though. Mine is on an arbor on the east side of the house. It is fun watching how fast it grows! I plan to let some of the runners grow up the side of the house too.

My favorite might be Loniceras (Honeysuckle). I have several types, L. sempervirens 'Blanche Sandman' and 'Major Wheeler'. Adore these trumpet honeysuckles just as much as the hummingbirds do.

L. periclymenum, Woodbine honeysuckle. Bought this just last year. Delightful scent!!

This year I hope to get L. sempervirens 'John Clayton', L. heckrottii 'Pink Lemonade', and the weird-o Lonicera reticulata 'Kintzley's Ghost'.

Here is 'Blanche Sandman'. Last year the aphids took over and ate many blooms. Maybe this will be a better year...

{{gwi:644461}}

My Boston Ivy has grown about one foot in six years :-* Not sure if it doesn't like the soil or the side of the house I put it on. Guess I will have to content myself with its cousin, Virginia Creeper (love the red foliage and blue berries in fall).

Has there been any rampant/invasive vines that you wish you had never planted? That would be Silver Lace Vine for me. I should have known not to put a big vine in a little spot. It tried to climb everything, even the near by blue spruce tree. Had to prune it nearly every week to keep in check! Beautiful vine for large spaces, but eventually I had to get rid of the monster.

Please tell about your vines. Pics welcome if you have any!

CMK

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting