SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wisconsitom

Larix marschlinsii-one tough customer

wisconsitom
9 years ago

So we goes through this severe winter. You might have heard about it. I had serious concerns about my many thousands of hybrid larch up at my tree farm. Afterall, Wisconsin is one of the very coldest places in the US, and Japan, even far northern Japan, is not nearly so cold. So given the fact that, for example, Japanese yews are looking toasted all over the place around here, and the additional fact that a number of borderline-hardy species seem to have met the test this past winter-and failed-I had serious concerns.

Then, throw in a very slow spring, with temps only just now really warming up. The result of that was that larch, normally one of the very earliest to green out, was still looking completely dormant up there only a couple weeks ago. Now I wish I had pictures to show. To say I'm relieved would be an understatement. They've not only finally greened out, but if anything, I think they look better than ever. Big, blue-green new growth is thick on the trees. Really looking great.

I'm still wondering about some of my N. spruce though. That is not a tree I'd normally be worried about at all, so far as winter hardiness is concerned. But some of the buds look "blasted" to me. These too are finally starting to flush, but unevenly so. I think I need a week or two of this warmth before I can declare all those to be viable. Meanwhile, the two main pines I've got there-red and white-seem totally unaffected by anything. And the straight species Thuja o. in the woods are likewise completely unscathed. Actually, having had that cold, cold winter is providing for some pretty interesting outcomes in terms of plant hardiness.

+oM

Comments (6)