SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hogmanay_gw

yet another close (7') to house evergreen/coifer question

hogmanay
13 years ago

I've read several threads, but most of them don't speak to my situation, just looking for any random advice.

Soil: Clay, backfilled to grade lot, was once a cotton field (area has been mulched for two years, but it's still clay)

General Location: N. Alabama, near TN state line, not on a "mountain" or on limestone outcropping or anything cool like that

Sun: house faces due north, the area is on west side of house, so no sun until noonish, then full bore 'bama sun until sundown

This is outside my kitchen window, now there are the large ubiquitous, semi-evergreen shrubs that every discount builder throws into suburbia. I made a large bed around them, planed a virburnum arrowood bare root and just fight to keep the bermuda grass out.

Wife wants "thin tall evergreens" in there, rather than the uberbushes.

I planted a row of bare-root american arborvites as a screen about 15' away, and they went from 6' to about 1" in two years.

Is american arborvite the best southern option? (I don't want leeland).

Or is there another tallish, thin evergreen that would be nice within 7' or so of my house (on a slab, BTW, not on a crawl space)

I'm just thinking of mixing it up with a few arborvites of various forms, but I'm open to any suggestions.

FWIW, the rest of my trees (all planted within 2 years on a new lot) are nanjing beauty, bald cypress, dawn redwoods, a few types of cryptomeria japonica, hazelnuts and a few apple trees. They were all planted at less than 1' height and are still small, so it looks kind of odd right now. Maybe in 7-10 years it'll look more respectable.

Thanks in advance.

Comment (1)