SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
animas_gw

Snow last week / Lake Powell at all-time low

animas
21 years ago

Fourteen inches of snow fell in the mountains last week. The first big storm since December. It was so nice to see the moisture. Everyone in town was so happy - and wet. A couple of interesting things... First, it rained in the valley (6,500 feet elevation). While this isn't uncommon for March, it's rare in Feb. Second, the weather has been so nice that I did some spring cleaning in the garden. The columbines have put out some leaves. The flax is beginning to grow, too. No action on the backyard bulbs (daffys, small iris, crocus) - yet. But out front, which gets more sun, my neighbor's tulips are coming up. This seems kinda early. They are signs (at least for me) that winter is pretty much done here in the mountains of SW Colorado. Too bad. The snowpack is low, low, low. Let's hope for the drubbing of wet March snow. (You know that things are getting bad when gardeners pray for wet, late, branch-snapping storms!) FWIW, Lake Powell is at a record low now. And the water people don't expect it fill up for a while. Check out the article at

http://www.durangoherald.com/asp-bin/article_generation.asp?article_type=out&article_path=/outdoors/out030217.htm

Comments (4)

Sponsored