SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amccour

Trying to get a cactus ID from a description.

amccour
14 years ago

I saw a rather interesting cactus at a store today; however it felt a bit soft and it had recently been watered, which sent up red flags about potential rot so I didn't want to buy it there, and it was a small and busy enough building that I couldn't really take a picture without drawing a lot of unwanted attention. So...

Shape: Globose and sort of flat-ish, although that doesn't necessarily reflect on the adult shape, so... The body was nobbly. Sort of like a gymnocalycium. The nobs were rounded (Fairly round. Not that flattened or diamond-shaped or whatever) and about an inch across.

Areole positioning: The areoles were in the middle, raised part of the nobs, and not in the gaps between. Also the nobs seemed to actually grow around the older areoles so that you could only see the spines and not the white, fuzzy part.

Spines: Look sort of like this: http://cactiguide.com/graphics/c_reduncispina_600.jpg . Thick, white, matte, and very solid. New spines had sort of a reddish tinge to them.

Color: Light, pastel-ish green. Vaguely bluish though I wouldn't say glaucus.

Comments (8)