SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
walnutgrove_gw

?sun plants in and or around the black walnut

19 years ago

Hi there- new to this forum.(And forums in general) I am hoping someone can offer some personal experience with some plants for in and around the black walnut tree. I have many in my back yard and for the most part have successfully planted under them. Most of my experience is with shade plants though, and I am planting a new sun bed (plants arrived yesterday) and now I am a little nervous about planting some of them. I have not found any info( or found conflicting info) in regard to purple coneflowers, coreopsis,rudbeckia,lavender, russian sage and daisies.I have a relativly new mixed sunny Island bed (planted fall-03) on the otherside of the yard only 20 ft or so away from a BWT. I do have some of the above plants.So I assummed these plants would do well in this new garden. But in reading some of the past posts it was mentioned that if you can grow tomatoes the soil is probably not affected by the juglone toxin. We grew tomatoes there successfully for years and now wonder if this new bed will not fair as well.It is only a few feet from a BWT.

I was happy to read in previous posts that hydrangeas have done well for others. Would love to plant some.And would be curious to know how the rose vs BWT study is going.Would love to have roses!

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Walnut

Comments (7)

Sponsored