SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hawkeye_belle

Second Report: Black Walnut Rose Planting

Hawkeye_Belle
20 years ago

After a particularly bad spring/summer-wet, cold, then hot, wet, all the roses in my garden became stressed with every disease a rose can have. Only last week I found Crown Gall on one.

The new planting beneath the Black Walnut trees was no exception. The degree to which the fungi attacked was less. However, many completely defoliated. Upon the advice of the experts on the Rose Forum, I began a program of Mancozeb and Banner Maxx. My reasoning was, unless the roses are given a chance to be healthy, that is with chemical sprays, should they die I will not know what killed them.

I am happy to report that all but 2 have refoliated and some are blooming. Two that are stressed are Paul's Himalyan Musk and Veilchenblau-both on multiflora root stock and both 2 years old.

Of the remainder: Sky Rocket-buds about 1.5 feet

Day Break-no blooms since June-about 1 foot

Bouquet Parfeit-1 foot, no blooms, cane die back (the least healthy rose in the bunch.

Prosperity-buds, a sprawler-if staked about 4 feet

Russellina-bloomed in spring-growth to about 3 feet, very healthy (I noticed a tomato plant seeded probably from my compost-if juglon was present anywhere near this rose, that tomato plant would be dead. Instead it is healthy).

Erfurt-beautiful foilage, no more blooms-about 2.5 feet

Lavender Lassie-no more blooms about 1.5 feet

Martin Forbisher-(transplanted sucker)-bloomed and growing from 2 feet to about 3 feet

Ballerina-beautiful arching plant with one set of blooms. So far this one has concentrated on growing-about 2.5 feet but with canes that if streched out would easily be 5 feet.

Penelope-the stunner-bigger than Ballerina, more arching and blooming at the tips of each of 6 canes. Clusters of 6,7 and 9 blooms. Very healthy foilage. This one was the least affected by disease.

Still too soon to tell but these roses are still alive and growing. However, I have noticed that the growth rate is much slower than on others of the same hybrid located in "safe zones" in my yard. Of course, there is less direct sun in this location so that may definitely be a factor.

All the plants had a mid summer feeding for manure and compost.

Hope you have found this interesting. I am sure I forgot something. Please don't hesitate to ask.

Comments (8)

Sponsored