SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Edible Flowers

A couple of days ago I was watching this gardening show called 'Cultivating Life' (anyone else watch it?) and they had an entire episode on edible flowers. I have thougt about this subject before, and decided that I wanted to try out some edible flowers this year. I first got the idea from my herb book (its a good book, called The Complete Book of Herbs- by Leslie Bremness). I was looking thru it and saw the pretty Borage flower, which they said was also good in salads and such.

Pretty much any herb blossom can be eaten- in moderation of course. The only thing I have tried before is: Nasturtiums, Chives, Calendula, and Rose petals. The Nasturtiums have a peppery taste. It was a little strange on its own, but it may taste fine in a salad. I always let my chives bloom because they are so pretty. Last year I tore a little flower appart and tried some of it. It was good; tasted just like the foliage. Calendula were icky, but thats just me. Rose petals seem kind of bland, but maybe condenced it would have a stronger flavor. I know I have other things that are edible too, like violets and pansy, lavender, mint, etc.

Now I am not one to go munching on flowers I don't know about. So I was looking around the internet and found this site (link below). I was surprised at how many common flowers they list as edible. There are only a few I would ever try, but I found it interesting. One thing that annoys me though is how they don't list the latin names. We all know how common names can be confused, which is not very good if you are looking to eat the plant.

What edible flowers have you guys tried? How have you used them? In a salad? teas and drinks? or just as a garnish? I know someone here had a great recipe for lavender scones.

CMK

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

I think by edible, they sometimes mean 'won't make you sick if you eat some' but not necessarily tasty. Good garnishes maybe.

Nell

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

I've used quite a few as garnishes and I have used flower petals from daylily, fuchsia, johnny jump ups, nasturtium, chives, calendula and hesperis in salads more for a bit of color than taste. A

• Related Discussions

Incredible Edible - June Herbs and Edible Flowers Swap

Q

Comments (46)
    Becky, I know horehound was used to make cough drops. I used to have a recipe but lost it. I bet you could Google it. I remember it was basically a hard candy that used horehound tea as the liquid. It might also work to just drink the tea. I'm having trouble getting thyme to grow from seed too. The sprouts are sooooo tiny, and then something always seems to happen to them.
    ...See More

Edible flowers and herbs for Jan/Feb planting?

Q

Comments (7)
    It's hard to add much to what has already been said, but in Winter Springs right now my herbs are very happy. My rosemary, oregano, mint, lemon balm, and parsley are going crazy. I let my cilantro and basil seed over the late summer and now I have both sweet basil, cinnamon basil, and cilantro coming up for a second generation. I have quite a few pansies that I planted maybe 6-8 weeks ago (from a nine pack of seedlings at Home Depot) and those are doing great!
    ...See More

2016 Herb & Edible Flower Swap

Q

Comments (88)
    So, now that I've had a chance to go through all the packs, I can announce that we have a third winner, Treasa! Treasa gets a prize for most generous, as she sent in many commercial packs! Super sweet of you, Treasa. I know that everyone will be thankful for the great commercial packs. Now for a bit of business: I was able to put together 5 bonus pack for everyone, so whether you sent 12 or 100 packs, you'll be getting an extra 5. Shawn, Dawn, Treasa part of your prize includes live plants, so please be sure to attend to your packs as soon as they arrive. I do hope the plants travel well. There will also be 3 commercial packs paper clipped together, for each of you. Shipping... Only two people sent stamps, instead of cash, so I went ahead and shipped everyone first class. The packs will be dropped off at the PO tomorrow. Here are the tracking numbers. Jennifer: 9400109699938439487611 Destiny: 9400109699937554954138 Tasha: 9400109699939915410840 Shawn: 9400109699939915681493 Treasa: 9400109699939915686153 Dawn: 9400109699939915691652 Thanks so much to everyone who participated. I hope you all enjoy your packs! Wishing you all many smiles and good health, Erica
    ...See More

2016 Herb & Edible Flower Swap

Q

Comments (0)
    If anyone's interested, I'm hosting an Herb & Edible Flower Swap here.
    ...See More
  • ghoghunter
    15 years ago

I know squash blossoms are often stuffed and eaten. I've only had the Nasturtiums myself..besides chives. For some reason I didn't get the link. Could you post it again?
    Joann

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hummm...that link was there earlier. Lets see if it stays put now.
    CMK

Here is a link that might be useful: 'edible' flowers

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Borage flowers have a great cucumbery flavor. Growing those from seed as well this year.

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

I've frozen Viola blooms(the small Johnny Jump-ups)in ice cube trays then used the cubes in lemonade, etc. Mostly for show. Just bought a pack of borage seed,it will be my first time growing this herb.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

If you grow borage, you will have it forever!! It is not invasive, but like dill, self-seeds freely!!! I must get some for this garden. I have used borage flowers to grace gins and tonics in the summer - very cool looking. I have used nastursiums in white wine glasses, it does not make the wine tast peppery, but sure looks pretty!! Violas in a salad!! Gorgeous!! They are great ice breakers/conversation starters!!! I'd like to try rose petal jelly some time.

Nancy.

• Annie
    15 years ago

Besides Squash blossoms, the ones were generally eat are BROCCOLI & CAULIFLOWER (which are flower buds). You can also eat RADISH, MUSTARD & Nasturtiums flowers (peppery tasting) :)

The way to use Calendula flowers is to tear the petals from the flower and just sprinkle them on a salad - either lettuce salads or fruit salads, to add their COLOR not for their taste.

You can toss Chamomile flowers (taste like apples) in fruit salads, if you like their taste - the texture is what I don't care for, but they are a good source of vitamins.

Dandelion flowers are very sweet - they have a honey-like taste. You can eat the whole plant, but the flowers have a lot of vitamins, esp. vitamin C, and the leaves are packed with vitamin A and minerals.

I have frozen the following flowers in small cocktail ice cube trays (are they considered antiques now?) and in large rings to float in party or wedding punch using a fluted jello pan or bundt pan:

Calendula flowers, rose buds and rose petals, bachelor buttons, nasturtiums, violet flowers, orange & lemon & etc citrus blossoms and chamomile.

You can make Rosewater extract for flavoring cookies and cakes by fermenting rose petals in vodka or gin for two weeks at room temps - strain and bottle.

Or, for a non-alcoholic rosewater (infusion), pour boiling water over petals, enough to cover the petals and cover with a snug lid. Allow to stand. Place the cooled mixture in the refrigerator overnight to infuse. Strain. Freeze whatever you don't use within 24 hours.

Pour rosewater infusion into your hot bath for a heavenly scent. (rosewater for dry skin and lavender water for oily skin) Lovely combined.

To make a rose syrup, add sugar and boil until the sugar dissolves and syrup thickens a bit. Makes a pretty pink syrup that is absolutely delicious.

Rosewater was originally the extract used in all baking until the advent and/or availability of Vanilla Extract. Many countries still used it instead of vanilla.

You can also make wine from rose blossoms. :O , but it takes bushels of petals to make just a little batch of wine. EXPENSIVE!

I make Lavender sugar by placing either Munstead or Province Lavender flowers in a jar of sugar, screw on the lid and allow the lavender flowers to flavor the sugar for several days. Delicious sprinkled on freshly baked sugar cookies or on lemon pound cake. It is lovely in hot teas. (I like hot Earl Grey with a slice of fresh lemon).

~ Annie

• floweryearth
    15 years ago

Christinmk,
    I absolutly love edible flowers -- so much so that they are what my garden focuses on!

My favorites are (and some of these are on my wish-list):

Dianthus plumarius 'Duchesse of Westminster' (Logee's), 'Inchmery', 'Mrs. Sinkins', 'Rose de Mai', (Canyon Creek Nursery); and 'Sonata' (Seed-strain hybrids that bloom first year from seed, and all summer long (I got mine from Thompson and Morgan)).

Lavandula angustifolia 'True Lavender' -- I got my seeds from Burpee. This seed strain has the finest flavor I have ever tasted.

Jasminum gradiflorum, sambac, and officinale -- (I have only used sambac, which is my true favorite but definitely needs to be protected north of zone 10) (I got mine [Grand Duke] from Logee's)

Viola odorata -- Parmaviolets and 'Lianne' (my favorite) -- from Canyon Creek Nursery

Roses -- I would definitely recommend the once-blooming old world cultivars that are used for perfume distillation: 'Summer Damask' (from Vintage Gardens when you're lucky enough to find it in stock); R. centifolia 'Cabbage Rose'; Rosa centifolia muscosa 'Old Common Pink Moss' (I got mine from Rogue Valley Roses); and R. alba 'Semiplena'.

Syringa vulgaris -- (especially the species version 'Old-Fashioned Lilac') These should do VERY WELL where you live! (I use the hybrids for mild winter zones ['Lavender Lady' and 'Blue Skies']; because my 'Belle de Nancy' bloomed well, but didn't grow very nicely.)

Good luck with you edible flowers!

And by the way, you can eat fragrant pansies too!

Oh yeah -- I also like herb flowers like catnip, applemint, lemon balm, and Cilantro!

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks you two for the great info!

-Annie, oh! Rose cocktails!! Count me in!
    In my herb book they also made a drink using Elderberry flowers. They said the yeast in the flowers makes the drink fizzy. Do I hear a party comming on? ;-)

On that gardening show they also made rose syrup and put it into an ice-cream maker with yogurt. Looked good.
    Have you ever tried herb/salt mixtures? I tried making chive salt a few years ago, but it didn't turn out well. The recipe said that you had to bake the salt and chives together. I think baking it took all the flavor out. I wonder if it would work to just put the raw chive foliage (and flowers, to make it look nice!) in a jar of salt? Maybe the salt would draw out the moisture but leave the flavor?

-floweryearth, thanks for posting! I would love to see a picture of your edible yard!

Will almost any kind of Dianthus work (excluding Sweet William perhaps)? I have Carnations and several other types. Could you maybe say that any kind that smells spicy could be used?

Lol! Yes I think Syringa would do very well in this area. Our city (Spokane) is called 'The Lilac City'. They have a lilac parade every year downtown.

Do any of you have experience with Fennel? I saw it used ornamenally at a local public garden and love the look of it (another plus is that it is edible!). I read that the flower buds can be eaten too.

Great ideas and info!
    CMK

• gonativegal
    15 years ago

My mother used to decorate spring cakes with crystalized violets. She would take the flowers from the common blue violet and dip them in a sugar water solution to grace the top of the cake.

• Annie
    15 years ago

Yes, crystallized violets and borage flowers are lovely on cakes and cupcakes, and violets are a great source of vitamin C. They taste just like they smell. Yum

• BecR
    15 years ago

Great topic ladies! One more to add that wasn't mentioned is scented geraniums. I currently have several different cultivars of rose scented geraniums, and used to have a gorgeous variegated lemon one that did not make it thru hard freezes we had here several yrs ago :( it was a favorite of mine too, very lemony!!! Great in teas or baking scones, cookies and cakes, & for cake decorating.
    :) Becky

• floweryearth
    15 years ago

When I lived in Miami, I would gather fresh rose petals, rose geranium leaves, lavender blooms, and jasmine flowers; and I would brew a delightfully aromatic tea with them. I would also add a little cinnamon and honey, and it was always a transcending floral moment. The tea would also have a beautiful pinkish-gold color. In Miami this is only possible in the winter.

I also would add some cottage pink flowers when they were in bloom. At that time I grew my pinks from an unimproved seed strain, so I seldom got flowers -- but I was lucky I got any--(considering where I was growing them).

Christin, I am happy to have found your post on this topic. To answer your question, I know that the types of Dianthus that can be eaten for sure are the cottage pinks, or Dianthus plumarius cultivars. I wouldn't recommend any other type.

For fun, I recommend the following experiment that I succeeded with in making an aromatic water:

1. Gather (or buy) a bunch of freshly-dried spearmint leaves, squeeze them in your fist to bruise them, and place them at the bottom of a large pot.
    2. Put a heat-safe object in the center of the bottom of the pot --(making sure the bruised dried leaves aren't under it). This can be a brick, rock, etc. (looking back, something I didn't try but could have made it easier would have been using a thick pyrex measuring cup.)
    3. Place a small bowl securly over the heat-safe object, which will act as its heat-protecting base support. (Or as in my new idea, the thick pyrex measuring cup, which probably wouldn't require the support piece to protect it from the stove's heat.)
    4. Pour enough water in the bottom of pot --(not the bowl or measuring cup) -- to cover the mint leaves.
    5. Cover the pot with an upside down lid that is somewhat dome-shaped and has a knob-handle, in order for the condensed steam to drip into the bowl.
    6. You can (but I don't think have to) put ice in the upside down lid (to aid in the condensing of the aromatic steam), but looking back, I really think this is unnecessary and it causes more problems than anything else.
    7. Simmer the brew on low, carefully looking inside occasionally until you see that there is no more water in the bottom, but it has all either gone into the supported bowl (or measuring cup) or into the air.
    8. Let it cool, and Voila! You have a homemade hydrosol. I would recommend putting it in a closed bottle or jar in your fridge and using it within a week, to be safe.
    * You may notice some shiney bubbles at the top of the water. This is normal; it's the essential oil! :)

I like to add a little bit to a glass of filtered cool (but room-temperature) water. I sometimes do this with rose or orange blossom water on a hot day. (I buy the latter two waters at specialty ethnic grocery stores from a Lebonese brand I believe is called "Cortas".)

Enjoy!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Daylilies are also very tasty - a peppery kind of flavor. Nice in salads.

• floweryearth
    15 years ago

I've got to try daylilies, tulips, calendula, borage, and nasturtiums! It's always good to expand your palate! You know, I've also heard that GARDENIAS are edible, and that you can make a perfumed drink with them... but you can count me out of that one. There is such a thing as TOO perfumy.

By the way, when I was in college, there were several large books in the library COMPLETELY about edible flowers. You can probably find some on Amazon or Barnes and Noble. There were some things in those books that they should warn people about the danger of-- for example, I believe they gave information about a liquor made with lily-if-the-valley in Norway. I don't think it takes a genius to know not to eat Convallaria, but there are all sorts out there...

Sponsored