SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shellyga

a curious observation about fungus gnats and seedling experience.

shellyga
16 years ago

This is my fourth year seriously starting seeds indoors and each year I learn valuable lessons. The first year -- oohh my goodness at the high mortality rate and swarms of fungus gnats -- I wasn't smart enough to realize they were connected! I think I had 5 that survived! The next year, I made better choices with potting mixture - adding some peat to "fluff" it up. But still more dead than alive when it came time to plant them out and again - swarms of gnats that were treated agressively with sprays. Last year - better although my brother moved into the seedling nursery and kept turning out my lights - he no longer lives here..lol. a few gnats - my main problem was keeping a healthy balance between too dry and too wet... Planted out about 150.

This year I decided that out of the hundreds of seeds I create myself, plus the hundreds I can't seem to resist buying - I should have more to show for it. SO -- early on I began to ask questions and I used the knowledge learned on the first "seed starting" messages we passed back and forth.

this year I have well over 300 seedlings at this moment that are very happy and healthy. VERY low loss rate and they seem to have just trived! Plus NOT A SIGN of a fungus gnat to be had!

I think I have found a clue - In the past I almost exclusively used potting soil, mixed a bit of perelite (spelled wrong probably) and some peat to start my seeds in. This year, I have only used seed starting mixture from Miracle Grow. Could that have made the difference? I have found that some cheaper top soils that I buy on sale seem to come with their own weed seeds -- could it be that this formula from Miracle grow has made the difference? Something to ponder while we wait for spring - has anyone else noticed anything that seems to stand out?

Shelly

Comments (4)