SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
timsf

Horticultural oil, Bt, or FE to control leafroller caterpillar?

timsf
12 years ago

Happy New Year's Eve, All!

It's been a while for me on this forum, but I have a question to ask about my caterpillar problem that, up until now, I've attempted to control by manually picking off. They keep coming back (just removed 4 the other day - even in Winter, can you believe?!!) and frankly, I'm getting tired of picking them off among my 3 in-ground Meyer lemon & 1 Trovita orange trees, so am now considering other non-pesticide/non-toxic/more environmentally friendly options.

The culprit in question is either a fruit-tree leafroller (Archips argyrospila) or light brown apple moth (Epiphyas postvittana) caterpillar. According to what I've read on-line, they both belong to the 'Tortricidae' family, look/behave very similar to one another, and require DNA testing to fully differentiate.

I've considered using Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) since it supposedly controls caterpillars well, but I've read that it can be hard to fully apply/coat the tops and bottoms of leaves. Also, I was wondering how frequently one has to apply. I would think frequently/weekly(?), especially following rains.

Others on this forum have also praised the merits of Fish Emulsion (FE) application (I think at the rate of 3 tbsp/gal of water weekly[?]) on the leaves to control soft-bodies insects and scales - does anyone have any experience using on leafrollers?

A third option (now that the dormant season is upon us) that I'm considering is the use of a light-weight horticultural oil (HO) which I've read controls, among other pests, moth eggs/early larvae. I noticed some scales on my (other) potted Meyer lemon, so if this works well on caterpillars AND scales, this could be a good choice (maybe?). I've never used HOs, so some questions I have are: 1) How frequently to apply, 2) Do they really work well on caterpillars, and 3) Can a light-weight HO be used in the growing season/year-round as well? [SF usually doesn't get below 40-ish or above 80F year-round...].

I'd really appreciate any insights you guys have on the three options above, or any other methods you've used to successfully control leafrollers! Thanks in advance for your help.

Tim

Comments (3)