SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
threedogsmom_gw

Using lilies in the cottage garden

threedogsmom
15 years ago

For me, this year's spring plant obsession is lilies and really am looking forward to their contribution to the garden, both for color, bloom time, and fragrance. At Costco this weekend, I bought 18 bulbs of Stargazer, 18 mixed pastel colors orientals, 12 mixed colors trumpet, 9 Tom Pouce and 9 predominantly white oriental, as well as 20 dahlias, 10 cannas and 70 tall gladiolus. Yes, I have alot of planting to do when the ground thaws, but I think it will be worth it since the lilies are perennial for me. I have been looking for something to fill the need for height and "wow" looks at the center of my sun bed behind the fall blooming anemone Robustissima. It think the trumpet lilies will fit the bill and look dramatic as well. I plan to use the Stargazers around the patio area to enjoy their scent. How much shade will they take ?? The glads were an impulse buy since they are somewhat gaudy flowers, but I think their flower form is so beautiful and the colors will mix well in summer bouquets, so I will have to plan out what companion plants they will look good next to. I got a lavender with purple accents, a butter yellow with white accents, and a rose pink with yellow accents. The dahlias and cannas (Wyoming dwarf) will go in the "hot color" bed out front, to fill in holes among perennials. I think that bed will start to look fuller this year. I like the "see no mulch" look, so that is always my goal, even if I have to use annuals to fill in the tiniest blanks.

Does anyone else have pictures of mixed plantings utilizing lilies (or glads), especially tall/species/trumpet lilies to show ? I would like to see some nice combinations of lilies used in cottage garden beds to get me inspired !! Thanks in advance for any photos, ideas, or suggestions for pairings !

Amy/Threedogsmom

Comments (14)

Sponsored