SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highbrix

Deer Fencing Question

highbrix
13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I have been having an awful time keeping deer out of my main garden as well as my recently expanded berry section. I had an economical idea for a deer fence and I was wondering if any of you have experience that you can offer.

The distance around the perimeter of both gardens is roughly 230 ft. The main garden (50'wide x 40'deep) already has a 3 foot rabbit guard metal fence surrounding the perimeter. The new berry section to the immediate right of the main garden has no protection and is roughly (30'wide x 30'deep).

I was thinking about purchasing 8ft T posts and deer netting. I would run my T posts every 20ft and then attach some sort of thin nylon rope (if i can't find the black 8 gauge monofilament wire locally). I would attach the rope to each post at the highest point (6 feet) and then probably another strand at (3 feet). Once the line is up, I would zip tie the deer netting to the lines and posts. At this point, I have no idea how to create a gate for the perimeter that is easy to open and close. I was thinking of using 2 8ft green garden posts stuck in a pvc section that is burried in the ground. I could easily lift the garden steaks out of the pvc and move them aside (I'm guessing?).

Anyhow, I'm doing all of this instead of using a electric fence (for the time being). I figured I would invest in the T posts now in case this attempt fails and I have to go electric. I could also use yellow t post clips and run electric wire between the posts. Then I could hang the netting over the electric wire assuming it is strong enough? This way, I am one step away from electric if need be. The deer aren't starving so I'm guessing they won't go through the extra effort of jumping the 6 ft span. I am also planning to offset this fence roughly 3 feet off the main garden rabbit fence. I understand deer have bad depth perception so perhaps this will deter them as well?

I apologize in advance for the long winded question. Does anyone here have any suggestions? I'm in a jamb here and need to move quickly before my berry bushes are reduced to stubble! I've got the Irish Spring soap hanging in the meantime (laughing).

Thanks a million!!!

Terry

Comments (3)

Sponsored