SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Cold-frame for Citrus - 2011 edition

Hello, fellow growers!

Well, I finally have my citrus in the cold-frame (for the past two nights), although they've been exposed to freezing

overnight lows for nearly a month now. Prior to that, I simply had my citrus beneath the deck against the woodpile,

which helped protect them from freeze/frost damage. This frame should prove much better! For one, it's twice as big.

I used half-inch pvc with slip-joints so that I can easily pull it apart and store it beneath my house during the Summer.

I had to purchase about $5 of new pvc, $8 in silicone, $9 in pvc cold-frame clips, and $25 worth of 6mil plastic sheeting.

I started by assembling the basic frame, with each side (sans slip-joints) measuring four-feet. Then I cut the plastic, pinned

the pieces, basted the seam, and took my mother up on her offer to sew the main seams with her sewing machine (Thanks, Ma!).

Once the plastic was fitted over the frame, I siliconed the stitching on all the seams.

Here's the cold-frame during the first fitting of the plastic sheeting, before the silicone was applied.

{{gwi:635002}}

An example of the seams. I left the basting intact for extra support. The silicone ought to reinforce the seam, too.

{{gwi:635004}}

This is a simple vent that I added to the side opposite the door. I siliconed a piece of aluminum window-screen to the inside

of the wall, then siliconed and gorilla taped a flap of plastic to cover the outside.

{{gwi:650288}}

Finally set in place and open for business. I used a double-flap for the door and I will be adding a more secure closure soon.

Now, you're probably saying to yourself, That flat-top is just going to fill with leaves and rainwater! And you're right!

Which is why I'll be adding a slanted top to shed the rain. New pics once I've finished the roof.

{{gwi:650293}}

A closer look through the door - a black garbage bag lines the concrete slab to absorb even more heat.

The bricks are holding the plastic flaps flat, but the frame itself will be anchored to the wall of the house

and to the ground, as well. Otherwise, it might fly away as it did last winter!

{{gwi:650296}}

The residents - Moro blood orange and variegated pink lemon, both with tips of new growth despite the cold.

Enjoy your Winter resort! ;-)

{{gwi:650299}}

Josh

Comments (19)