SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ecomtl

Calamondin S.O.S

ecomtl
18 years ago

Well, winter has taken it's toll. My meyer is fine, but the other....not so good. I have had alot of leaf drop, and they are brown at the tips. I don't understand cause I learned here this is from overload of soluble salts, however, ever since I have had it in indoors, I have flushed the pot every time I water in the tub. I am in a big city....could the build up be from the city water itself? Cause I don't know what else to do.

Also, the conditions here have challenged my humidifier. It's at full power and I get 20-25% humidity readings!! The highest I've gotten is 55% but this is so seldom. It's too dry up here! There are containers of water around it aswell.....??

I know the Cal needs to be repotted badly, but my CHC shipment isn't here yet.

Oh, here's another usefull detail. I also flush the meyer in the tub at every watering. I have had a few leaves drop with brown tips as well, but it's so insignificant of a loss, I am not alarmed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (6)

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Eco, are the brown edges crispy or soft?
    25% humidity is pretty low which is probably the problem. (If the brown is crispy)
    It sounds like you're doing everything possible w/the humidifer and cups of water.
    The only other solution is daily misting and purhaps investing in a small indoor fountain..I'm not talking anything large, they work magic. I've some high-humidity-loving plants growing next to my fountain and so far this winter no brown spots.
    Another thing is, keep citrus away from heating source. Like a vent. Or too hot a room..My citrus are kept as cold as 50-70F degrees all winter. Too hot a room and 1. humidity decreases 2. foliage dries.
    Do you have a sunny but cool room to keep them in? What's the temp kept at? I notice Calamondins are fussier about hotter rooms which is how I killed mine last yr. Yet I don't have problems w/other citrus.

If leaves are soft, then you've got another problem. Check for pests..on all parts of plant. Leaves, under leaves, stems, trunk.

You mention flushing everytime you water in the tub..how often is that? You don't want to keep the soil wet at all times. Soil should dry between waterings. Constant wet soil can invite bugs and/or rot.
    Flushing soil is best done for ppl who often fertilize..How often do you feed?
    I agree hosing 'foliage' in a shower or sink helps increase humidity, but I'd be careful watering soil, especially if it's done more than once a week.

Is your Cal, underpotted? Eco, since you're in Canada, growth is very slow, if there's any at all. So, you can probably wait to repot until longer days. Toni

• ecomtl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well good news then, they are crispy brown tips. I just did the conversion, unfortunately my appartment is from 69-82°F when it's sunny. It can range in the cooler temps during prolongued periods of over cast though. This place is like a green house in the day. I realize this is definately too hot for the Cal, but our appartment has central heating, I have no control over it except opening the windows, which in turn takes at minimum a 10% chunk out of my humidity levels within 5 minutes of the window being open! Also, yes, they are rather close to the wall unit which runs the base of the floor, I have them on the kitchen table there. It's the sunniest spot though......there are no other location possibilities I am afraid.

Didn't think of the fountain, but I do have one, never use it but I'll set it up on the table immediately.

Do you think putting several big buckets of water under the table close to the wall heater could help? If they are that close to the heat source, maybe it would release more evaporation into the air?? I admit I have gotten lazy with the misting, my bad.

As for flushing.....I most definately let it dry out in between waterings. The cal is in a smaller pot, so I water it once a week, and the meyer maybe once ever 12 days or so. I check them regularily with my moisture meter. When I put the cal back into it's drainage tray, I have put stones so that it is not even sitting directly on the tray to allow for some air under there. When I notice humidity is super low, I tend to fill that tray a bit, but not enough so that it's sitting in water, just hovers over it. As for feeding, I have not fed it anything since october.....and I think I was feeding it the wrong thing. I read that especially here, I should not feed till spring, so that's what I have done. I have had the call since what july? And I think I fed it twice, summer and fall. Now I know to look for azalea food for next spring at least.

I find the cal pot wayyyy too small, I can see some roots at the top poking through...but nothing like the meyer which is root bound for sure. After writting this post, I checked the mail and we have something waiting at the post office. I think it's the CHCs. So now that I think they are in, would you repot? Or still wait till spring regardless?

Anyways, it's all the jet streams fault. When you see the jet stream jut down on the eastern sea board to almost Georgia, you will know I am having major humitity issues. Damn jet stream.

Thanks for your help, I always love reading your replies, even when they aren't to me : )

~Gen

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Gen, I also use a littel fan for air circulation..The fan was 9.00, bought at Walgreen's Pharmacy..The thing is not to set it so cool air is facing the plant, but point it upwards..A rotating would be best..I also use a ceiling fan in the LR..this helps w/humidity and heat..It balances both out.
    Any water source helps w/humidity. I'm going to post the little fountain, or one I use to show you it's size.
    Can you get itmes from US if they're not plant related?
    If so, I'll post the site I got my fountain, and they've got so many to choose from.

Phone's ringing. I'll continue in a few..Toni

Here is a link that might be useful: RE: Calamondin S.O.S

• Joe
    18 years ago

Eco,

It sounds like it's your heat source that is the problem. It's unfortunate that you have no control over the heat flow. I had a similar situation in my old apartment. Is there any way to get something in between your wall unit and the tree? A piece of cardboard perhaps? Anything to cut down on the drying air that is at your leaves.

More water sources such as the buckets and fountain can't hurt but I don't think they are going to put enough humidity into the air for your tree. I would mist that tree as much as you can each day (at least twice).

The only other option I can think of would be to move the tree to another part of the room away from the heat (although this would move it away from the sun) and then supplement with artificial light? This would be more costly and more effort but if you continue to have problems with dryness, it may be an option to save it. Just my thoughts.

• ecomtl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Toni, the link provided isn't displaying unfortunately. I do have a fan I can set up, facing upwards as you suggest. I'll get right on that! And yes, I can get items from the US, I can even order certain plant related ones, believe it or not (I almost bought my first citrus that way).

Chopstocky, thank you! I will try and rig something to prevent the heat flow like you said. I guess I was naïve to think that the table would prevent it from rising straight up (it's pressed up against the wall lengthwise over the heater and it's a pretty long table). Now looking at my scenario, what you suggest will not be easy, but will have to be do-able, cause unfortunately I have no mean$ for artificial light right now (unemployed blah).

All I want is that make it through feb, our coldest dryiest month, I can give it what it needs next winter. I never realized how dry it was here till I had a living thing who's life depended on it.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Eco, check out my website, (by clicking on my name here on gw) then go to the file Toni's Plants..there's a pic of a small fountain; I don't know what I'd do without it.
    I hope you can rid some of the heat that's messin' with your citrus (S) Toni