SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjra_gw

Where to plant grapefruit tree?

cjra
14 years ago

So I decided to get a grapefruit tree about a month ago but I still have yet to put it in the ground. I haven't decided on the best location and being 9 months pregnant, haven't had the energy to dig ;)

Our house is on a corner, space all around, double lot with the extra lot being on the west side.

House faces south, one side of it getting sun pretty much all day year round, the other side of the front has a big cedar elm shading it.

West facing yard - biggest space - is rather shaded with the elm, 2 pecans, 2 chinaberries (which will one day come out but not now) and something else I can't figure out, as well as house next door. Very little morning sun and minimal afternoon sun, even in summer. Gets a bit more in winter once the leaves fall.

North facing side, the back, gets good early morning sun in winter, but not much by late morning. In summer gets sun much of the day, except nearest the house. Two orange trees already here, doing well, but my summer garden couldn't handle the sun/heat there.

East facing side, near street, has 4 30+ft crepe myrtles which shade a bit. Early morning sun in winter until about noon, shaded by afternoon. Summer a little longer.

I'm in San Antonio, TX and full sun in summer = hot hot hot. This summer was a heat wave, but summer long temps above 90F are very normal and days of 100F+ are not unusual.

So, given the needs of a grapefruit tree, which location would be best for sun/shade/heat?

And, given we're now in December, should I leave it in the pot? We don't get very cold weather here for long stretches, but we do occasionally have a cold snap + 1-2 night freeze in Dec or January. I was thinking if I planted it, I'd build a little greenhouse over it to help protect it on those days. I don't really have a good indoor location for it (house is well shaded so not a lot of sunlight inside) and would have to bring it in and out a lot.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living