SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darlox

Saving drought / heat damaged meyer?

darlox
12 years ago

So Mrs. Darlox and I went away for ~3 weeks prior to the holidays and had a greenhouse-sitter who was supposed to be coming in to water the plants and check on things occasionally.

Unfortunately, they forgot.

I'd soaked my citrus prior to leaving, but while I was away there were also several bright sunny days, and the GH temp must have rocketed up. I've completely lost quite a lot of my non-citrus plants. :(

But, to my horror, I discovered that my ~5 y/o Meyer had dropped most of its inner-ring leaves, though the growing tips still seemed to be ok. All of the fruit on the tree was turning yellow and "ripening", regardless of size, though the smallest had been dropped. After watering, the growing tips seem to have perked up. But the tree as a whole looks awfully bare and miserable.

Any advice for nursing it back to health? The tree was very "leggy" to begin with, so the growing tips are now tufts of green on very long, whippy branches. Do I just let it do its thing, or should it be pruned at some point? Should I pinch off the smaller-sized lemons (or ALL of the lemons??) to leave more energy for the tree to recover?

Help! =)

Comments (2)