SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantomaniac

Cacti and Succulents Identification- Please Help Me!

plantomaniac
17 years ago

I have about sixteen cacti and succlents that are unidentified. Please help me identify them as in doing so, I think it will better help me give them the requirements they seek. Here are my opinions for a few of them as I sort of have an idea of what they are but am not 100% sure.

1. Crassula ovata gollum (is this gollum or is this hobbit? I read somewhere that gollum has leaves like a hand, they look stick like with a little indention in the middle of the end of the branch, whereas hobbit has leaves that curl under, but this one appears to have both types of leaves?)

2. A species of Crassula?

3. A species of Echeveria?

4. A species of Mammillaria? Sorry guys, these two picture were a bit blurry I know and dark, but I did the best I could with the pictures!

6. A species of Cheiridopsis? I believe these two are the same species. They are a little different in color (I am not sure if this is evident in the picture, but they look the same if you look really close... not sure if that is evident either, but in person they look the same. The one on the right is opening up because it is producing a new leaf.

7, 8, & 9. Going clockwise from the top left, I think the one on the bottom is a barrel cactus? Not sure about the other two.

1. A species of Kalanchoe?

11 & 12. I think the one on the left (the tiny one) is some species of Echeveria or maybe Sempervivum? It looks like a Hen & Chicks, but the catch is... it has hair all over it (not evident in the picture probably, but trust me, it has felt like hair like a Kalanchoe Tomentosa)!

1. A species of Echeveria or Sedum? I have no idea.

2. I am not sure what this is... a species of Crassula or Jade plant?

3. A species of Sedum?

4. Well, after looking online I've found 'Peruvian Old Man,' 'Old man of Mexico,' and 'Old Man Cactus.' I noticed that some of these are different species from each other like the 'Peruvian Old Man' is from the genus Esposata, but I do not know what mine is? There seem to be so many different species of hair cactus like this.

Any and all help is much appreciated!

-Elizabeth

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of My Cacti and Succulents

Comments (20)

• gabro14
    17 years ago

Well I'm pretty new to succulents but I have one that looks like #13. I think it's Echeveria Pulvinata ("Ruby Blush"). Sorry, that's all I can offer! Good luck..
    Gabi

• mrbrownthumb
    17 years ago

#2 Crassula Green Pagoda?
    #6 Pleiospilos nelii

• plantomaniac
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gabro14,
    Thank you for your advice. I will be honest though and say that I think the plants in picture #2 (the pair at the bottom right beside the crassulas that are poking out of the left side of the pot) are "Ruby Blush" though. I found it on the website I am providing at the bottom of this post. They have a bit of hair on them which is a big indicator. No problem though! I really appreciate you telling me what you thought because like I said, any advice is helpful. My Mom said she read somewhere that there are about 2000 or 3000 different species of Echeveria... so it can be very confusing at times.

There are so many succulents and cacti out there. I have spent numerous hours attempting to identify the ones that my Mom and I have between us and at times I have been frustrated because one website has a picture of a certain plant and I go to another website and that same plant looks different than the first website's picture (so I've given up and posted those that I couldn't identify).

Please see the website I have provided for a picture of "Ruby Blush" and some basic care information on them. Once I found out what that one is that you have (since you said they look the same), I will let you know! =:o)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ruby Blush

• plantomaniac
    Original Author
    17 years ago

mrbrownthumb,
    I believe that you are right concerning #2, but when I went to www.desert-tropicals. com concerning #6, it looked different? I think the ones I have stay pretty much the same shape and do not become fat like the Pleiospilos nelii looked. They almost look like Cheiridopsis carinata, but I am not sure? But I really appreciate both your comments... they were helpful! =:o)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pleiospilos nelii

• gabro14
    17 years ago

Yes, I think you're right about yours not being Ruby Blush. I looked again and noticed that #13 is stemless (right?), but mine actually has a branch-like stem, and the plant portion is vertical rather than horizontal (I hope that makes sense...basically the stem bends on the top and so the plant is upright). So I think mine is Ruby Blush but I'm not sure. Anyway, good luck with your ID's.

• plantomaniac
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gabro14,
    Hmm... if I get your comment correctly, my #13 plant does grow up vertically instead of being squat like most echeverias... did you check out that web site I mentioned? It has a perfect picture of "Ruby Blush" on there and would identify your plant as either "Ruby Blush" or not. It is not a web site that has viruses or anything on it so please trust me. I go there all the time to figure out what certain plants care are because otherwise I am clueless. The picture they have is the exact same as the plants in #2 (near the right bottom). So if you go there it would be very helpful in your identification.

• gabro14
    17 years ago

Yes, I did go to that site, which is why I realized that yours what not a ruby blush (pic #13). The pic on that site definitely looks like mine. I pretty much knew mine was a ruby blush, I just thought yours might have been too (initially) because of the way the leaves looked. Either way, it's a nice succulent..and I'm sure someone on here will know the ID.

• plantomaniac
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gabro14,
    Oh ok, I understand what you are saying. I wish I had a better picture of the pair in picture #2, but the crassulas (the ones on the far left... mrbrownthumb identified those for me) are the ones I needed help with identifying so you cannot see the "Ruby Blush" pair very well. The "Ruby Blush" pair that I have in picture #2 look exactly the same as the picture on the website I gave you. I think the one in picture #13 is similar to "Ruby Blush" because it has pink lining on the sides of the leaves, but it is not hairy like the "Ruby Blush," so I'm not sure what it is. I figure someone will let me know what it is eventually hehe. Thanks for your insight. "Ruby Blush" plants are very cute and I would say easy to care for, but I have not had them that long at all, so it is too soon for me to say.

• User
    17 years ago

1. Crassula hobbit/gollum, I always get the 2 confused.

2. Crassula perforata (or marnieriana), maybe needs a bit more light?

3. some kind of Ech.

I don't grow cacti, so am skipping 4, 6 (don't know this succ.), 7, 8 & 9.

1. Yes to Kalanchoe, maybe kiwensis

11-12. Would have thought Ech. but since you mentioned the hairs, I'll go w/ Semps.

1. Some kind of Ech.

2. Guessing Crassula, but way too dark to see which one.

3. some kind of Ech. (could use more light).

• plantomaniac
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Pirate_girl,
    Thanks for your input as it was helpful! I think you are right about the one crassula needing more light... it was like that when I bought it and I have not had it for but a week and a half now. I give it four hours of artificial plant light (60 watts) and it is very close to an eastern window (it does not receive much light right now, but in the summer, that window gets better lighting).

-Elizabeth

• mrbrownthumb
    17 years ago

They almost look like Cheiridopsis carinata, but I am not sure?

You know you may be right. I thought it was a PN that just needed more light or better growing conditions but I think it does look more like the one in your link.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    17 years ago

There are over thirty species of Cheiridopsis and at least half a dozen can look just like your's. You have no hope of a positive ID without seeing the flowers. Just possibly it might be a different genus but it probably is Cheiridopsis.

It definitely isn't a Pleiospilos though.

• plantomaniac
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mrbrownthumb and shrubs_n_bulbs,
    Thanks for your input. No problem about thinking it was a Pleiospilos though Mrbrownthumb. =:o) If and when it blooms shrubs_n_bulbs, I will post a picture. Do you know when it blooms? I read somewhere it was between early Winter and late Spring depending on the species? Considering I just got it about a week ago and it was not exactly in the best of care where I got it, it may not bloom this year... it is producing a new leaf (set of leaves?) though! I am happy to see that!

-Elizabeth

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    17 years ago

When it might flower depends on what species it is. And also on where you grow it. Cheiridopsis are very roughly winter growers but in many areas winter is too cold and dark for them to grow, so they either flower in autumn or spring or maybe not at all. I wouldn't expect flowers on your's until next "winter" at the earliest. They need almost no water in summer because they will be dormant, although they will probably still be plump and green. It is normal for the older leaves to die back in summer, generally leaving just one pair of leaves on each head. Eventually the plant will clump up so that you will get a mat of many heads.

• norma_2006
    17 years ago

Crassula #2 I also believe it to be either C. rupestris or Crassula perforata which is more likely. I can't see the picture well enough identify which one of the 6 it is.
    C Perfoliata var. falcata, var. albiflora, var. coccinea, Var. falcata, Var. heterotricha, Var. miniiata, var. minor, var. perfoliata, I think not. Norma

• mfyss
    17 years ago

Plant #10 looks like Kalanchoe 'Behartii', a cross of K. beharensis x K. millotii. Yale

• plantomaniac
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone. :)

• tjicken
    17 years ago

#4 - not detailed enough, but I have never seen that kind of hairy dried-up flowers on Mammillaria.
    #8 is a Notocactus (leninghausii?)
    #9 - too young for me to identify, might be an Echinocactus grusonii.

• rjm710
    17 years ago

Some additional names to consider:
    2-in addition to the Crassula, appear to be a very etiolated Echeveria pulvinata 'Frosty', and either another form of pulvinata, or possibly E. nodulosa
    4-Notocactus
    5-perhaps a Mammillaria (or maybe a Parodia)
    7-a columnar Cactus, something along the lines of a Cereus
    8-Mamm, for sure
    11-Sempervivum
    12-Pachyveria
    14-to the right of the Crassula appears to be an Adromischus, and an Aloe juvenna hybrid on the lower right
    15-Crassula, Eche, and the center one is either another Eche or possibly a Pachyveria

Many of them could use more light, less water, and lower temps right now!

• tjicken
    17 years ago

#8 is not a Mammillaria, they have tubercles in a spiraling pattern. The plant on the photo has vertical ribs.

#16 Oreocereus?