SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Cost cutting savings to keep greenhouse warm..Cont.

meyermike_1micha
12 years ago

Hey!

Back on Erins thread it was asked what I do to save tons of money on keeping my greenhouse warm and I did not want to continue this on Erins thread out of respect for her beautiful greenhouse that she now has.

So, I figured it would be appropiate to dedicate a thread here on how some have been able to achieve cost cutting savings on keeping their greenhouses warm and plants healthy at the same time for the winter months.

Insulating them from teh bitter winds and cold of winter.

If you have ideas, please share as I also have one and I am willing to share. This is a continuation of a conversation sparked by me and a few good members here. I will link the beginning of it for your convenience.

Mine is 6x8 which can be VERY expensive to keep warm, even at that size around these parts. I remember back in October with our freak snow storm, I could feel the cold air against the walls on all sides of that house. That day, it took 2 heaters to keep it at even in the 50's and at night, 3 to keep it that warm.

I had a smaller one last year that was not as nice and it took two space heaters going at full blast with no protection at a cost of over 275 dollars a month for electricity.

I use to work with pools and remember how much they kept my water much warmer than just with a tarp. The air bubbles in the cover act as a barrier and for cold air to get in and warm to escape. A GREAT insulation barrier to teh cold elements.

I got together with a friend of mine that owns a pool store and he said it was a GREAT idea and in fact, a company is trying to come up with a plan to use HUGE covers to wrap over homes to drive energy costs down for insulation..

So, I ordered a 16x24 foot one and had plenty left over. I cut some off and used that to cover my pond which has yet to freeze! It acts like a mini greehouse,thermal barrier while the sun shines through keeping the water thawed.

Not only is this keeping my greenhouse safe and warm, but it is also keeping my pond from freezing.

All you need to do is bungie cord it from one side of the greenhouse to the other so it won't blow off and that's it.

I will take better pics for you so you can get a btter feeling for it.

CG, you could set your space heater at 65 or so and once teh house warms to that, it will shut down. Then at night when temps drop, without the cover, it is bound to work hard to keep the temps there. With the cover,your heater will probably not have to kick on much at all.

Here is where this conversation started. More than a God send for me!

Mike:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenhouse savings conversation that was started

Comments (25)