SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluigirl_gw

greenhouse for cuttings

bluigirl
14 years ago

Hello All!! I have lurking on this site for more than six months and have gotten tons of great advice. I am now also overwhelmed with the info and a little confused.

My experience level: I have a semi wooded lot on two acres on tidal water. Our lot had been neglected for more than 20 years. Armed with a large pair of pruners and a sharp shovel, I have managed to clear half an acre of 10 foot azaelas entwined with miles of virginia creeper and kudzu. I then began daily trips to the local nurseries and hardware stores buying everything that turned me on. I made several mistakes and learned several lessons; less is more being the biggest.

This adventure has awakened a passion in me I never knew I had.

My Mission: I would like to build a temporary greenhouse in my garage for wintering over plants that did well in my garden. I took a bazillion cuttings this summer and have had pretty good success. I have been given several flourescent lights that were used for seed starting by my father. Im not sure if they have the best bulbs but they worked for him and they were free. I have several large foldable tables that I can stack one on top of the other for shelving. My husband is a plumber and can build anything in the world [when he gets time] for me.

My questions: if this is in the garage do I still need to enclose it with plastic or something to help control humidity? The garage is insulated, do I still need to heat it? I have taken cuttings from several annuals I have and Im not sure if they will bloom again. I would like to know so that I may pitch them if they wont.

million bells

blue daze

NG impatiens

the other impatiens

I cant think of anything else off hand, any advice is appreciated.

Comments (2)