SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artbysheryl

Dahlia winter storage question

sheryl_ontario
12 years ago

I have a cold cellar in an old farmhouse and I have successfully stores my big dahlias there every year. All the small sized ones and little pieces seem to dry out and shrivel up, so I don't divide them until spring. The bigger ones seem to survive better. Anyway, here's my question. Is there any reason I cannot pot up the little ones and just grow them all winter in a south windowsill? I pot them up in late Feb anyway and just keep cutting them back until I can plant them in the garden in late May. They seem to do fine potted from end of Feb-end of May.

Would they survive growing in a pot in the house all winter? I have some new ones that are small and I want them to survive. I realize I need to do something better to keep them from drying out.

To date I have wrapped each one in newspaper and put in cardboard box. The ones sitting direcly on the stone always survive, the others - not so much.

Last year I put them all in a Tupperware storage container, after wrapping in newspaper. The dahlias survived, not all of the cannas however. I may do the same this year but would like to pot up the new ones and take cuttings during the winter.

Has anyone grown them as potted houseplant through the winter? Would this work or do they need a rest period?

Comments (15)