SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Formal vs. Informal....or both?

lavender_lass
14 years ago

While planning some of my gardens for this spring...I realized something. Most of my gardens fall into two patterns. When I use more "formal" plants, like roses, I prefer a much more informal, curved planting bed, with lots of perennials and other herbs, etc. mixed in. Very cottage garden, or informal design. I don't care for roses (and this is just me) in the more formal beds, edged with hedges.

However, when I plan out my vegetable gardens, I like a very formal plan. Very structured and linear, with flowers or lavender edging the beds. It seems to help keep my garden from looking like a weed bed, but if I weeded more often, maybe that wouldn't be such a problem (LOL) The paths also make it easier to reach the veggies...and the weeds :)

While I still don't like clipped hedges (again, just me) I do like raspberries or blueberries or maybe a row of sunflowers for a border around the garden.

So all this made me wonder....what kind of gardens do you all prefer? Do you always choose informal, curved beds? Do you prefer formal beds, no matter what you're planting? Or do you (like me) tend to prefer roses and perennials in informal beds and vegetables and annuals in more formal beds? Or maybe the other way round?

Still a few months until spring, but it's fun to plan the gardens! Thanks for responding. It's fun to see what other people like to do in their gardens :)

Comments (15)

Sponsored