SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

Long Time No See!

Annie
16 years ago

Hi my friends!

It's been many months since I was on here and I have missed you all so much. I was reading many of the messages on here last night. Sorry to hear about the troubles that so many of you have been having with winter weather. (I have family who survived the Southern California wildfires last summer. That was so frightening. They were in the Rice Canyon Fires in Fallbrook).

We had the worst ice storm in Oklahoma history in December. Our power was out as was a good part of the state. For us, that meant no water as our well pump is electric. Lots of churches had set up shelters for people. My son and his family spent several nights there. With all my animals, I stayed home and "camped". Was kind of fun, but I was certainly happy when the power was restored five days later. Some folks were without power for two weeks.

My beautiful trees all have their tops broken out...every tree. Huge trunks felled and limbs that crashed to the ground. The whole county looks like a war zone. . .still.

It was very scary during the storm, icy limbs crashing and sticking in the ground like frozen swords. Power lines coated with an inch of ice that brought them down and snapped power poles off like toothpicks. My grandson is here with me and he says to tell you that there was a big tree by his house that cracked and fell down with a very loud CRASH.

The little birds who winter over here on my property lost their nesting places as each tree crashed to the frozen ground or down into other trees. The birds took to the air, circling, frightened and traumatized. I have never seen or experienced ANYTHING like that, not even from tornadoes. The devastation is indescribable. Trees fell one right after another, all day and all night for over a weeks. Roads and streets were impassable, even hidden. I cannot even describe the sounds and scenes that unfolded. It was surreal.

Many of my smaller trees and bushes were damaged too. Most will recover but it will take months or years to regain their former size and beauty. I am still cutting up the debris. Many areas of my property are still not accessible.

I will post photos of it.

Also, I have some photos that I took in late summer of my beautiful roses and other flowers that I would like to post and share. I enjoy looking at them in the dead of winter and especially now since the ice storm has made a mess of my once lovely yard. I know many of you have had similar experiences.

I feel for those in the South who have lost so much due to the severe drought and now the recent deep freeze. Some have lost much due to heavy snows and others floods and all manner of severe weather. We are seeing the effects of Global Warming and climate changes world wide. For many there will be dramatic changes in temperatures and weather and we need to be able to adjust as it changes. We need to change the ways we garden and be more "earth friendly" if we haven't already been doing that.

Anyway, I just wanted to come on and send you all my warmest regards and best wishes.

~ sweetannie4u

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert