SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

What do you buy a lot of for your garden?

What things (besides plants, that one is kind of obvious, lol!) do you find yourself going to the store/nursery to buy more and more of each year for your garden?

A few years ago (the start of my new obsession- veggie gardening) I was buying tall garden states and black plastic nursery pots like crazy. Thankfully I have not needed to get any more of those items since then!

One thing I do seem to use a ton of...potting soil. Am I the only one who looks at the empty bags of potting soil and wonder how in the world I could use so many?? I had a "what the heck am I doing" moment at Lowes last fall while staring at the outrageously priced soil (I was thinking of getting fresh to repot all the annuals I was going to pot up and overwinter inside). I ended up not buying any more and simply re-used the stuff I already had in the annual pots. Then I decided to save the rest in a big trash can for this spring. Not sure if I ought to enrich it with a bit of compost and peat moss (to counter balance the somewhat heavy compost...) or not.

I also go thru a lot of hand trowels. Now that my garden is crowded I tend to use the smaller trowels rather than the big shovel. I absolutely love the hard plastic ones from Wal-Mart. They are so much sturdier than the metal and wooden handled ones- the metal always ends up bending while trying to dig in our hard packed soil! I usually end up buying two in the spring in case one breaks, which is often what happens. After awhile in the sun and elements they can get brittle and break. Still, they work better for me than the metal kind!

So what do you guys use a lot of in/for your gardens?

CMK

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living