SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cats39

A Little OT: The wonderful world of whacky weather

cats39
17 years ago

Hi All!

If youre a weather watcher you may be aware of the unusual harsh weather weÂve been having for the past two weeks in the east and specifically in and around New York State. I happen to live just outside and east of Syracuse NY.

WeÂve only seen the sun on three occasions since Oct 10 and we last saw full sun on Oct 13 with only 2 days of full sun for the whole month, which is highly unusual for this time of year. On the other two occasions since the 13th it was mostly cloudy. In between weÂve been below average temps, heavy snow aka Buffalo and Watertown and with the wind and rain gusting at over 50 mph it was impossible to take the dog out in the backyard for the past two days.

Why am I telling you all of this?

Because of our DST change I was up at 05:00AM EST, actually biologically it was 04:00AM, and just before 06:00 I couldnÂt believe I was see daybreak for the first time since I donÂt know when? When I looked at the backdoor window the birds were back, even a flock of Robins of about 20 or 30. The feeders were pretty much windblown empty, so I obviously went out to fill them.

Now get this, as I closed the rear garage door I happened to look out and thought I was at first seeing things. In my large open 10X20 Fall compost pile I had 5 Dahlias coming up through the leaves etc. and blooming. It was almost a sight for sore eyes knowing what weÂve been through for the past 3 to 4 weeks. Now with another full day of sun in store (possibly our 3rd for Oct) that was beginning to shine brightly, it seems all of the bad weather was worth it, how easy we can forget.

Thanks for listening.

Jim

Comments (6)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor