SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eriky_gw

Leyland and Green Giant Help

eriky
15 years ago

I have been reading the forum for the past few days since I found this place and I am so glad to find such a great resource.

I apologize in advance for throwing so many questions/issues in one thread, but they are all related and I am really confused.

Background: Moved into a new house in August of last year. Back yard faces another back yard with a ton of junk in it that is as high as 20 foot in height. I need to screen that ASAP as its making me crazy. Live in NJ.

Researched the web and found Green Giants to be best choice so in late October I bought 15 3 1/2 footers bare root online. Without much thought I dug the holes and got them all planted about 6-8 foot apart and did not stake them. Found the soil to be very dense clay.

Crazy amounts of rain from November to February, very windy and beat up the trees pretty good.

By march the trees were not looking good at all, reddish brown color and overall not looking hot.

Early April I go to a local nursery and I am talking to the guy, explain my predicament and he tells me that Leylands are better trees for my situation. Shows me some 5 year olds and I really love them, he has a bunch of 7 gallon 5 footers and they look really great.

I buy 8 of them, and I replace 8 of the 15 of the GG with the Leylands and place the GG in the 7 gallon pots with Miracle Grow Tree and shrub potting soil to try to rehabilitate them and maybe plant them someplace else in the early fall.

Guy tells me I have to use 60% peat moss because of the clay, so when planting the leylands I mix the clay dirt with about 60% peat moss and plant.

April is really dry and hot, so I am watering about every day, Leylands looking great and the Thujas are all but one starting to amazingly regain their color and start to look better.

Past few weeks a TON of rain and 4 of my leylands are getting orange looking foliage from the inside out, particularly the bottom of the trees.

2 of my GG are getting the same color foliage but not nearly as much of it.

Can anyone help me with what is going on and what to do about it?

I am so frustrated having spent a ton on trees and feeling like I cannot get this right.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Comments (7)