SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Privet Arch to get a good pruning after 29yrs.

schoolhouse_gw
11 years ago

Well, I bit the bullet and called a landscaper to come give me an estimate on pruning the tall privet hedge, that forms my privet arch, on the road side. Several weeks ago, a snow plow went through and after the snow melt I saw quite a few of the big branches broken. I took my little bow saw and tried to clear out what I could but then reality set in.

The hedge has large branches growing out horizontally from its base, towards the road. BIG branches. Plus "thickets" of suckers about 3' from the base all along the length. What has needed to be done for a long time is to prune all those branches off and trim the hedge right up vertically and shear off those suckers. Now if I had a chainsaw and wasn't afraid to use it, I'd probably tackle it myself; but instead I decided to call a professional who wouldn't go in there and just start whacking away. Afterall, I don't want it to die.

The landscaper guy quoted me a price of $500(!). I asked if he could do it for $400. Luck has it, I knew the guy from years ago so he said, "We'll try to do it for $400". When I fretted about the hedge dying back and not recovering he assured me "you can't kill privet hedge". Well, we'll see. I figure it will take at least 10yrs. to come back to what I hope, I'll be 69 - I want some more years to enjoy it! lol I was impressed by his concern for the arch design and how trimming will be done to preserve it and encourage new growth without destroying it.

They plan on coming the first part of Feb. so cross your fingers and wish me luck that I made the right decision at the right time. The fact that they will haul away all the debris is a big plus and a big part of the cost.

{{gwi:633072}}

{{gwi:633074}}

{{gwi:633076}}

Comments (15)

Sponsored