SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevinh_gw

Survey: Cold protection for in-ground citrus in z8

kevinh
15 years ago

I've used a few methods (lights, plastic) to keep my in-ground citrus from suffering too much cold damage in the coming months (e.g. Dec, Jan, Feb), and I was curious about what methods others have used.

I have:

Dancy Mandarin

Honey Mandarin

Lisbon Lemon

Torocco Blood Orange

Oro Blanco Grapefruit

Star Ruby Grapefruit

I've used Christmas lights (except for 1 year where I tried heat lamps). I used the C7 size bulbs, and about 2 strings for each tree. I also have either covered them in plastic (with rocks around the base), or built small tents around them (with plastic sheeting stapled to the tent posts). What I did last year worked the best I think though -- I simply wrapped them up in that Saran Wrap like stuff they use to secure pallets (pallet wrap?), so that they looked like giant lighted snow cones. With a hole at the bottom and one at the top for circulation -- it can easily get to be 115 in a sealed plastic container in January here -- I had the best year for keeping the leaves on them.

I put the lights on a old baseboard electric heater thermostat that I "tweaked" some so that it would operate in the 35deg range, rather than the 50deg range it was made for. This saves *a lot* of money on your electric bill.

And the result is that they flowered later (after it warmed up more) and they have quite a bit of fruit on them this year -- which is now beginning to turn color -- several large lemons, and about 4 Oro Blanco (the Star Ruby hasn't done well, it doesn't like our long hot sunny summers here) and many many Dancy and Honey Mandarins. The Mandarins are smaller and quite tart, so not exactly what you can buy in the store that is trucked in from FL I guess -- although I can't say I've tried one of my Honey yet as I think this is the first year it has produced anything.

Anyway, I have 2 reasons for asking: 1) is that I'm going to wrap my trees in a few days since the cold is coming and it's almost time for it, and 2) I'm also trying to write a paper for school, and I picked this as a topic (e.g. "the silly home gardener trying to grow citrus where it's too cold to grow").

Thanks ahead for anyone's time in replying. I've scanned this forum off and on for 3 years or so, and it has answered a lot of my questions.

Kev

Comments (23)