SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dansgrdn

cavalcade of cones

dansgrdn
14 years ago

I took some cone photos today that I thought I'd share. Anybody else that has some feel free to add them.

Abies koreana 'Blauer Pfiff'

{{gwi:698598}}

Abies koreana 'Aurea'

{{gwi:698599}}

Abies koreana 'Blue Cone'

{{gwi:698605}}

Abies koreana 'Aurea'

{{gwi:698607}}

Picea abies 'Acrocona'

{{gwi:698610}}

I'm not touching this last one with a ten foot pole, you can call it what you like ;)

Dan

{{gwi:698612}}

Comments (13)

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Come on Dan, what's it called ?

• barbaraincalif
    14 years ago

Dan, Your photos are gorgeous! There are so many cones on the Abies 'Blauer Pfiff'; is this a 'normal" cone year? I am so excited with a new Picea 'Skylands' having ONE this year....

Is that an open invitation for all of us to post our cone pictures?

Barbara

• pineresin
    14 years ago

"I'm not touching this last one with a ten foot pole, you can call it what you like ;) "

"Come on Dan, what's it called ?"

It's that 'Howell's Dwarf' or whatever-it-was-called cultivar that turns out to be Picea jezoensis, not P. alcoquiana [syn. P. bicolor] as the textbooks say.

Resin

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Resin, right as usual :). Thanks for summarizing previous discussions. I think Clement felt it may be Picea jezoensis 'Yatsubusa'.

Thanks Barbara, I get a pretty good crop of cones each year on 'Blauer Pfiff', but this year there are even more. Yes it is an open invitation for everyone to post more cone photos. I'd love to see a photo of your 'Skylands' cone. Mine is almost 8 feet tall (2.44 m) and still hasn't coned yet, so it's really great that you have a cone already.

Here are a couple more.

Picea omorika 'Pendula' cones
    {{gwi:698615}}

Abies koreana 'Silver Show' cones
    {{gwi:698619}}

Let's see some more.

Dan

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Picea orientalis 'Skylands' - photo taken in April.

{{gwi:698620}}

• firefightergardener
    14 years ago

Is there much debate that Abies koreana has the greatest looking cones and produces cultivars with some of the best cone shows?

• dcsteg
    14 years ago

Unusually heavy cone production this year.

Dave Pinus parviflora 'Mount Vernon'
    {{gwi:698622}}

{{gwi:698624}}

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Hi Resin,

Are these cones the evidence that this 'Howell's Dwarf' (aka 'Howell's Tigertail' and 'Howell's Dwarf Tigetail') is a Picea jezoensis instead of a Picea alcoquiana?

• dcsteg
    14 years ago

"Are these cones the evidence that this 'Howell's Dwarf' (aka 'Howell's Tigertail' and 'Howell's Dwarf Tigetail') is a Picea jezoensis instead of a Picea alcoquiana"?

Oh please..we have been over this many times...does anyone really know? I think I have changed the tag on mine at least 3 times...to the point it carries no tag on it now.

Sorry coniferjoy...didn't mean to rain on your parade...you have a viable question that deserves an answer which there is no answer...at least I haven't found any around here.

Will the real 'Howell's Dwarf' (aka 'Howell's Tigertail' and 'Howell's Dwarf Tigertail' please step to the front and identify yourself?

Dave

• pineresin
    14 years ago

Hi Coniferjoy - yes; it has typical Picea jezoensis cones.

Hi Dave - not sure Coniferjoy was on this forum when we last discussed the identity, so it's a fair question.

Resin

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Thanks for this answer Resin,
    I need your opinion about a weeping spruce in the topic "Spring pictures-a lot of" from May 15th.
    Gary showed us some pictures, even close ups.
    He received this plant with the tag "weeping Serbian Spruce".
    Please let me now what you think of it?

• bunkers
    14 years ago

I need to post picts, but I'm also seeing a cavalcade of cones on almost everything this year. Very exciting.

• sluice
    14 years ago

Enjoying these very much!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting