SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane_socal

Glocchid-infested garden gloves--help!

jane_socal
9 years ago

Hoping somebody here has a good solution to my problem. I stupidly wore my best long, thick leather garden gloves (meant for roses) to pick prickly pears, thinking the padded palms would protect my fingers. Instead, those little glocchids went right through them. Wanting to save the gloves (which were a gift), I tried removing visible ones with tweezers, washing the outsides with a stiff brush to rub/knock them off, and even lightly sandpapering them. They're still impossible even to handle, much less wear.

If you've had this problem--short of ditching the gloves altogether--do you have any suggestions? Would soaking the gloves in water help? Would anything? Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Try 'man's best friend' - duct tape. From outside & inside; stick it on & pull. Hopefully you get some out.

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

I use cheap Home Depot gloves for handling Opuntias, and then toss them out.. no way to get every single spine out⦠and later I always regret it when I try to wear that pair again. Only cost $2 a pair.

• nil13
    9 years ago

Trash em.

I get thick leather scraps and use that to pick up cacti. Just make sure to mark which side you a supposed to grap. Otherwise you end up with another pair of ruined gloves.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

No, there's no cure, short of picking out the glochids for the next year or so, It's too bad it happened to good gloves, but you can count on a lot of company having done the same.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I use news paper, old rags and my bare hands. I am tired of ruining good gloves. I use duck tape and elmer's glue on me occasionally. I let the glue dry and pull it off, and off comes the glochids.The old magazine and rags usually too just fine. The thing is, leather is skin and needles go straight through skin. There are some cactus gloves that look like rubber gloves with a brush molded on them that work amazing , I hear. I am too cheap to splurge on them.

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

long handled hot dog tongs