SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Texas Taxodium (distichum/mucronatum)

Carrie B
15 years ago

I recently took a road trip and found myself taking back roads between San Antonio and Austin, Texas. We stopped for lunch in Wimberley, Texas, in the hill country between the two cities. Before lunch, we went for a walk along a park creek that ran across the road.

On the edges of the creek were growing some very large trees which I thought at the time were taxodium distichum. We grow bald cypress here in Philadelphia (including one as a street tree on the sidewalk in front of my house), so I'm somewhat familiar with them.

But there were a few things that made me question their identity:

1. These trees had no "knees". I didn't see knees on the small tress or the very big ones, regardless of how close or far they were to the water's edge (or even in the water).

2. They were HUGE. I attributed their size to different growing conditions in Texas and a longer growing season (here in Philly we're on the northern end of their cold tolerance). Also, they're native there while they're planted here.

3. They didn't have the conical shape I'm used to in taxodium distichum. I wondered if once bald cypress got very large (some threes probably had a six foot or more trunk diameter, perhaps even quite a bit more) they lost their apical dominance.

That night, I had lunch with a gardener in Austin. He told me that they may have been taxodium mucronatum, Montezuma cypress.

I've been doing some Online searching, and several photos appear on the web of Wimberley's cypress trees, but the photographers all refer to them as distichum. Some sites report that mucronatum are only hardy as far north as San Antonio, but there are other reports of mucronatum growing in north Texas.

My traveling companion may have taken some photos, but he's not a gardener and it didn't occur to me to ask him to take good identifying photos. I'm hoping that maybe you can help me solve this mystery.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations