SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimandanne_mi

Pinus densiflora 'Low Glow'--some needles brown

jimandanne_mi
15 years ago

We had a beautiful 4-5' high and wide Low Glow (supposed to be good in zones 3-7 according to what I read in Adrian Bloom's Connifers)) planted last July in sandy soil. We were told by the nursery not to water it other than a deep soaking about once a month, since most people overwater these pines. It was in the mid to upper 80s for several weeks after this with no rain.

It looked fine all year at least into the winter. When I looked at it carefully this spring as the snow started to melt, I noticed that the needles on the south side (mostly--some on the north side also) were reddish brown for about 2/3 of the needle.

Could it have been a result of the stress from being newly planted in the heat, or possibly not getting enough water? Or is it more likely that when my husband used the snowblower after several 6-8" snowfalls that zapping it with the snow did this? Or something else?

What should we do? Prune the ends, or leave it alone and see what happens? Any insight you can give us on this will be greatly appreciated. We'd like to not lose it, and we hope it's not beyond fixing.

Anne

Comments (7)