SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highjack

What are you doing in the garden now?

17 years ago

Bloom season is over, frost temps are on the horizon here so what have you been doing to prepare for ole man winter. (sidebar - why is it Mother Nature and Ole Man winter?)

I just spent several hours removing annuals. I always plant a few annuals in the spring but by this time of year I have a ton of freebies from seed that Ma Nature gave me and who's seed ignored by the ole man last year. I had two colors of vinca, two colors of salvia, impatiens and moss rose. It is interesting to me that this seed germinates in spite of the Snapshot that is applied. I have same canna that will need to be dug once they get nipped by frost.

Hubby declared after we get through the first frost period we will start cutting the daylilies back - goody - my back loves that job. I am glad he is doing it early so I will have time to get some chemicals up close and personal to the daylilies so the weeds that have been hiding near the clumps won't spend the winter.

I checked the grass seed I put down about 10 days and it is coming up. Between a couple of rains and the heavy dew/fog we are having every day, it is germinating.

The trees aren't ready to drop yet - the color on most are just starting to turn. The exception are the walnut trees and they are bald already. I got whacked on the head by a walnut while pulling annuals in one shade bed. Once the leaves are down, hubby cranks up the chipper/shredder and we eat the leaves. Some of my beds end up looking like a mosaic from the gingko, Japanese red maple and gold leaves. It added interest to the bed with the various colors. During the winter it doesn't take much to amuse me.

So what are you doing now or are you just goofing off enjoying the last good weather for a while - which is what I'm going to do right now.

Brooke

Comments (23)