SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
briteskye2

Advice? My pencil cactus is rotting.

briteskye2
16 years ago

Hello!

I found this site while searching today and decided to ask for some advice since there seems to be a lot of good experience and knowledge floating around here. Please bare with my newbie-ness!

I just noticed today that my pencil cactus (Euphorbia tirucalli I believe) appears to have a sever case of rot or something similar. I'm sort of in a panic because I'm quite attached to this plant (the original clipping was a gift from my 6th grade teacher 14 years ago) and I don't know what to do to save it.

I know it needs a lot of light and very little water. It's been outside on my North-facing porch since Spring, the sunniest spot my little apartment has to offer. I fear this was caused by 1) repotting it 5-6 weeks ago in standard, non-succulent potting soil, 2) leaving it out through several rainy spells, 3) leaving it out through Kansas City's chilly late Fall, 4) all of the above... yet my OTHER pencil cactus (a red "fire sticks" variety) has undergone the same treatment and is just fine.

The plant itself started putting out some new growth after repotting, but today I noticed those little leaves have shriveled up. Also, nearly all of the outermost branches on the old, main trunks are yellowing and turning mushy. Some of the tips of these branches are even turning black. However, the young cuttings I stuck in the soil when repotting appear as healthy as ever and the trunks of the main plant are still firm and green.

Is this different from "root rot"?

I started trimming back the mushy branches, but stopped when I realized ALL of the branches would have to go. I don't know how far back to trim it before completely killing the poor thing. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Should I trim back the mushy parts and repot the remaining parts in better soil? Is this just a lost cause???

Any advice would be much appreciated!

I'm feeling pretty guilty right now for being such a bad plant-mom and letting this happen to my oldest and favoritest "baby" :/

Comments (4)